Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about getting a TK Turbo kit for my car in the summer. Anyone who has one on their 2nd gen, what cars have you raced?

·
Registered
897 Posts
i'm not sure about the mx-6 but in our bb this 2nd gen '93 probe gt with turbo went toe to toe with a supra tt (the supra had 1 passenger). you can pretty much gauge by that how much faster you'll be with a single turbo upgrade.

G

·
I'm seriously considering getting a turbo or s/c from TKT too. Hmmmm...surprised nobody else with one has replied to this. I just wanted to say that I read somewhere on TKT's site that the basic turbo should bring ETs in the low 14s. He gave an example of a stock MX6 that ran a 14.1. I remember him quoting: "the car will jump when the throttle is opened." I'm thinking (not always a good thing) that the 0-60 should be realistically around 6.0 secs or less. ????I base this on the power to weight ratio though, and this is assuming the power makes it to the pavement. Where's MikePGT at????

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Hehe. Here I am. The original poster wanted opinions from people who'd actually gotten a turbo installed on their 2G. I don't (sad, but true) so I stayed quiet.

However, from what I know, power output with a halfway-decent turbo kit will rise to something like 220HP, at the wheels with about 7-9PSI of boost. This is close to 100HP more than a stock V6 can muster (~135HP to the wheels). This level of power, in a 2900-lb car, will definitely put one solidly in the low 14s for a 1/4 mile run. Maybe even 14.1...

Cars that run low 14s in the 1/4 typically run low to mid 6s in the 0-60 dash.

A couple of points to ponder though. First, the 2G MX6 and PGT have open differentials, meaning, in effect, the wheel with the least traction gets the torque. Torque steer could be quite bad and don't even think about getting into the boost in a corner. An LSD (limited slip) differential (Quaife, for instance) might be a good idea if funds allow it.

Second, the OEM clutch will not handle that type of torque. 220HP at the wheels is 260-ish at the crank. Assuming the power peak occurs near 5250, the torque will be up there too, about 250 or 260 ft-lbs. That's way, way more torque than the OEM clutch was designed for. An ACT or similar unit will be needed.

If the trans is removed for clutch work, an LSD should be considered. If the LSD goes in, get the synchros replaced and the shift mechanism (selector rods, detents, shift forks etc) eyeballed too. Use only synthetics in it (Redline MT90 etc).

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
complicated

Is it not possible to just pop in a nice little turbo and not have to worry about anything else? well, aside from the clutch.. that I can understand.. So if I pop in a nice phat clutch, I should be good to throw in a little turbo charger in there?

sounds like a kick ass way to destroy ANYTHING that has a HONDA badge on it!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going after more stuff than just hondas. I feel that there are a lot of cars out there that shouldn't beat an MX-6 but they do. Such as the new Maximas, some low end luxury cars and cars like Eclipse GST. I don't want the races to even be close.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: complicated

Rufnek69 said:
Is it not possible to just pop in a nice little turbo and not have to worry about anything else? well, aside from the clutch.. that I can understand.. So if I pop in a nice phat clutch, I should be good to throw in a little turbo charger in there?

sounds like a kick ass way to destroy ANYTHING that has a HONDA badge on it!!
I'll say "sure", you can put a turbo and the required associated hardware (e.g. BOV, FMU, fuel pump etc) on the car and leave it at that and have a very satisfying ride. Talk to TKT and see what a basic kit includes.

Don't boost more than 8PSI or so (6PSI without an intercooler), keep the fuel system in 100% condition and run only the best gas you can get. With that you'll be in the range of 200-220HP at the wheels.

Accessories you might want to consider as future upgrades:
- clutch
- LSD
- upgraded ignition coil and perhaps an amplifier
- intercooler (if the original installation doesn't have one)

I'm sure there are other but my brain has started slackin' off early before Xmas and I'm not thinking right :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts