Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin and I met up with 2 of my buddies to play pool. Well my friend has a 1995 Grand Am GT 2.3 DOHC Quad 4, with K&N cone intake. So we play pool, than bounce and we leave onton a main drag, kind of known for street racing. I pull up to him in 3rd, doing maybe 40mph, and we're neck-to-neck, so I tap the gas and he f*ckin hits it, so I'm like damn, I gotta play catch up, so I reach my powerband in 3rd, I'm doin good, by the time I shifted to 4th I was passing him, he was done, I put on my 4-ways to be an asshole (lol). We roll again, this time in 2nd, both gun it and I'm slowly but surely pulling away, by the time I was in 4th, I had probably 3-4 cars on him. So we roll again and basically the same, than I hit a puddle and almost lost the car, not cool. (oh yeah, it's also been raining for a couple days too) So that's when I let him pass me and pulled a 'U'y to head back home.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Good kill. But I always thought the GTs came with a V6.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yah, i thought they were all v6's too... but a few months back a friend of a friend showed up in a white 5 speed quad 4. for being a pontiac(i HATE pontiacs) it was kinda quick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah they came with an optional V6 which only came with 5 hp more than the Quad 4. His is also a 2 door coupe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's the H.O. Quad 4 it has upwards of 180 hp. Not bad for a domestic 4 cyl. I know you could get those on the early 90s on the compact Olds and I think the Grand Am too, but I'm not sure about the newer ones.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the quad 4 is a real fast little motor. I had one in an 88 olds calais, and it was like 170 hp. Later in the years, gm took away the dohc, and went to a sohc, and the hp dropped to 150 something. I had an automatic, and very few cars would beat the 40 mph punch that that thing had...i could pull away like crazy. I saw a gm parts catalog for that motor once that had shitloads of stuff they used for racing teams with that motor, weber carbs, cams, and all kinds of fun shit.

·
Registered
734 Posts
MattDogg said:
His engine in the 150hp Quad 4. With 152ft-lbs of TQ
I know exactly which engine you are talking about.. my friend has one... They are SLOW. A 6 SHOULD take them any day...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts