Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3" Muffler inlet TOO BIG??

I just bought an RActive stainless steel muffler, single tip. The inlet is 3" inner diameter. Is this too big? They can make a reducer for it, but will it affect power or affect the SOUND at this size? Anyone know, please tell, cuz I'm getting it installed this afternoon...

·
Registered
776 Posts
3" muffler

If you said something about the SOUND, do you mean that sound that those big mufflers make on the Honda's and other imports. If so, please refrain from putting this muffler on because it only makes your car sound good when in fact the engine is only an import V6 (if that's what you have). These stupid mufflers are just like putting baseball cards in the spokes of you bicycle tires. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen and if I ever see your car or any other mufflered car like it, I'll burn you!

WIMP!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you'd read my sig, you'd see that I have a V6. By the SOUND, I mean will it still sound low and rumbly, like a V6 should, or will the oversize somehow affect the quality in some way. Maybe you should go back to your bicycle little boy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine at least is LOUD LOUD LOUD but far from the honda bumble bee sound... it's lower pitch and has a raspier tone to it at about 2.5-3k rpm. I "Bark" mine every time I go under a bypass bridge just to hear the echo... it's nice. However my whole system is 3" from the headers (they're next). There are inserts you can get that reduces the noise by 7 db, at least for Apexi there is... I don't have one yet... I'll get it as soon as I get my first noise ordinance ticket :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WoW!?! You have a custom 3" exaust?? How much did that run you $$? Is there any sputtering from the low back-pressure? I just got my muffler installed, and I'm loving it!! 3" custom piping sounds cool to do..

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got the 3" mandrel 90degree bends from carparts for $30 total, the catco cat and apexi n-1 for $240 and someone to put it all together for $200... all together about $520... now compare that to 2.5" catback from bosal for the same price... there is some slight sputtering when letting off the gas but not much nor noticeable... there's a reason why I did 3"... soon I'll have my turbo in after I get finished building my bottom end with forged units to handle the psi. Anyway I am thrilled w/it because it cost me the same as a catback but I got the cat and it's 3" for the future upgrades of the car...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts