Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I don't want to get the same crap as the guy, who wrote the thread about the Northstar in a MX6 but here goes...

I was wondering, theoretically, if I could fit the 6 from a 3rd gen?? (91-97) 300ZX in my 2nd gen MX6. I love my car but that engine, especially the TT, is incredible.

If it is a stupid question feel free to mock and make fun, but I think that combo would make an incredible car.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
man i wish i could learn to type well, sorry guys, 300 rear wheel and the 6 is front wheel, not going to happen, unless u have tons of $$$, but then would it fit in the bay of the 6, uhave to think, u have to fit 2 turbos some where, andi have heard that people have problems with the, Knights tiwn turbo set up, so good thought but learn some more about how cars work, i know i need to learn, lots

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm all for performance, but I think if you go out of the Mazda line and throw in a Nissan engine, then it won't be a Mazda. What about dropping a 13B in your six cylinder MX? all though since the RX is rear wheel drive also, but you'll still be staying in the Mazda family.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree, unless you had tons of cash laying around you could put in the 13B with no problem. What about swapping out the first gen engine with a second gen 2.5 six cylinder? One of my friends has a MX3 with a 2.5 six cylinder and it hauls.

·
Registered
283 Posts
what is a 13B

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Mx64u2catch said:
what is a 13B
13B is the designation of the rotary engine in the RX-7, as KL03 is the designation of the V6 in the PGT/MX6.

2fast4U, it'll never work, for so many reasons, not the least of which is that the TT motor and its turbo packaging is designed for a longitudinal layout in a RWD car. I suppose it's remotely possible that a Maxima transaxle might bolt up to the 300ZX engine (though I doubt it would survive long behind 320HP), but you'd never, ever mount that thing transversely in an MX6.

Cross-breeding cars is always an expensive proposition. If one has the money it would take to undertake a project like this, one should just but a 300ZX-TT and mod the hell out of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for responding

I was pretty sure that there would be no way I could put a Z engine in my 6, but a guy can dream can't he. I like the looks of my 6 better than the Z (some may call this crazy) but overall I just like the styling... I guess if I want the power I'll have to ditch the 6 pick up a 7 and go Z hunting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The DOHC 3.0 won't fit but....

2fast4U said:
OK I don't want to get the same crap as the guy, who wrote the thread about the Northstar in a MX6 but here goes...

I was wondering, theoretically, if I could fit the 6 from a 3rd gen?? (91-97) 300ZX in my 2nd gen MX6. I love my car but that engine, especially the TT, is incredible.

If it is a stupid question feel free to mock and make fun, but I think that combo would make an incredible car.
If you have the time and money to spend you can get the 200hp/227lb-ft SOHC turbo engine from teh 84-89 300zx. You would need a maxima tranny, custom driveaxles, the VG30ET (SOHC turbo engine) with its wire harness/ECU. I have looked at my sister's mx6 very closely and there is no way in hell the VG30DETT (3.0 DOHC twin turbo engine) will fit. The engine itself is way to wide, the distance from the heads would touch the firewall to radiator in the 6. Not to mention its pretty damn heavy. I could believe you can do a VG30ET swap for around $5k. If you got the sport 450hp package from JWT (ECU, cobra MAF, 420cc injectors) along with a T3/TO4E turbo, FMIC, proper exhaust. You can get around 300-350fwhp around 15-19psi. But I should mention the torque would be enough to snap the axles and diff if you used slicks. But they say no pain no gain :).

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: The DOHC 3.0 won't fit but....

Nismo87SE said:
If you have the time and money to spend you can get the 200hp/227lb-ft SOHC turbo engine from teh 84-89 300zx. You would need a maxima tranny, custom driveaxles, the VG30ET (SOHC turbo engine) with its wire harness/ECU. I have looked at my sister's mx6 very closely and there is no way in hell the VG30DETT (3.0 DOHC twin turbo engine) will fit. The engine itself is way to wide, the distance from the heads would touch the firewall to radiator in the 6. Not to mention its pretty damn heavy. I could believe you can do a VG30ET swap for around $5k. If you got the sport 450hp package from JWT (ECU, cobra MAF, 420cc injectors) along with a T3/TO4E turbo, FMIC, proper exhaust. You can get around 300-350fwhp around 15-19psi. But I should mention the torque would be enough to snap the axles and diff if you used slicks. But they say no pain no gain :).
Thing is, with a couple of grand (US dollars) you can get a TKT turbo for the stock KL03 that will net 220HP at the wheels at 8PSI (give or take), or about 270 flywheel HP. You wouldn't have to change a thing besides adding the turbo hardware.

I'd wager that for $5000, you could build a KL03 capable of 400HP (under boost) instead of going the hybrid route.

Good point though: with that much power on tap, transaxle life could be, er, compromised... :D

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
or more than 400 HP if he NOSsed a stage 3 fully built high compression (11,12:1) motor instead of the low compression turbocharged route. then the question would be, could the driveline handle it?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JspecMX-6 said:
or more than 400 HP if he NOSsed a stage 3 fully built high compression (11,12:1) motor instead of the low compression turbocharged route. then the question would be, could the driveline handle it?
JspecMX-6,

Can you elaborate on this "stage 3" and the one in your sig? I know it's your motor, but who built it? Where'd the parts come from? What exactly differentiates a stage 3 from a stage 1 or a stage 2? What was the cost? Have you got dyno plots of it?

Inquiring, power-hungry minds want to know :D

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
you bet!!! :D

the specs are listed in a thread titled "HELP" (started by guido). im still breaking it in so i havent dynoed it yet. it was built by doug anderson and the parts came from paeco.

a stage 1 is: new pistons and rings, stage 1 camshaft, hi-RPM valve springs&retainers, new valves, premium bearings, balanced and knurled pistons, balanced and glasspeened rods and crank, block dipped milled true and honed, glasspeened head, milled true, and 3-angle valve seating.

a stage 2 adds: forged pistons (11:1), chro-moly wristpins, aluminum valve spring retainers, competition valves, pistons glasspeened and heatshielded, pin bosses drilled, and port and polish head.

stage 3 adds: 12:1 pistons, stage 3 cam and lightened rods. i stuck with 11:1 and stage 2 cam so i can run pump gas, and added moly rods.

stage 4 is a non-streetable engine that adds: titanium wristpins, titanium valve spring retainers, oversized competition valves, the stage 4 cam, lightned pistons, moly rods, and combustion chambers domed. the compression is also bumped to 13/14:1. you can also add titanium rods for only $570/rod...LOL

the whole thing costed about $4200. that price doesnt include the clutch.

[Edited by JspecMX-6 on 01-05-2001 at 09:29 PM]

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Mazda engine swap

Well, I have heard you can put the 4.2L DOHC V6 from the 626 under the hood of the MX6. I know all the parts on that car and the MX6 are practically identical as far as interior goes. I've met a guy who said he had it done to his 2nd gen. like 5 years ago. It's been a while, and to tell you the truth, I didn't know much about cars back then, so he could have been lying. His car was fast as hell though. They make performance parts for 626's also, so your mods after the engine swap wouldn't be insane. The 626 comes in a 5 speed manual I think, and I know it's its front wheel drive. The enigne is mounted the same I think, so no prob there. All you have is the added weight to the front end. I could be completely wrong so let me know b/c I'm interested about what you think... good or bad. Like I said, I could be wrong! So no reason to bash me b/c I've already admitted to not knowing if I'm speaking the truth.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
sounds doable but did mazda change the tranny between 97 and 98? you might have to pick up the tranny too. also how much HP are you gonna gain? is it worth it and could you build/KLZE for cheaper?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts