Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met this guy at a party last night with a really nice 97 3000GT ATX base, he liked my car and asked me to race him. We started on the expressway and he smoked me all the way, but when we got off and to the first light, i was about 3 car lengths ahead of him by the time i hit about 70, then he gained up. I was quite surprised by this because i have a 93 I4 manual, so i went home, on the computer and looked up the specs for a 97 3000GT base, the car only has 160hp !!! I always thought the 3000gt's were somewhere around 300hp but that's only the VR-4's...

G

·
0 Posts
over weight

yeah and that 160hp doesnt help much with a car as heavy as a 3000gt, the base probably weighs less than the vr4 but it still weighs too much! and arent the base models fwd?

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, the base 3000GT weighs just over 3000lbs and only has 160HP. I've been wanting to race one of these for awhile, especially after keeping up with a 5.0 Mustang GT a couple months ago. Also the I4 MX-6 with the 5spd is NOT slow... I almost bought one a few years ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i know its not slow, i can take most civics w/no problems, si's are a problem, but i'm putting in a new cam, getting portnpolish job, and headers and catback soon. also next year i have plans for supra 10:1 pistons + rods and a supercharger, that should bring close to 200hp.

G

·
0 Posts
jiffy6969 said:
I never have liked those anyway.
they look nice but thats pretty much all they have going for them besides the 320hp VR-4...but still, i would rather have a Supra Turbo ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I remember always wanting one of those they looked so cool

i guess all looks and no power made jack a dull boy

later lemongopher

93 ls

G

·
0 Posts
VR4

Well i'll tell you the ultimate VR4 Story... I own a 91 3000GT VR4, I was stock at the time.. 300HP and 3800lbs... I was cruising on a street in the San Fernando Valley.. when I saw a dark blue MX6 GT rolling along side me...Like the little spanky that is is,, he had to hit the gas... I then hit the gas to even up with him... Then I downshifted and we both hit the gas...Well I was accelerating pretty good ,, and that little spanky took me by about 2 car lengths!!,, well at the light i rolled down the win/ and asked him what the F was going on!!, He replied "Stock Turbo man ,, do it for a living",, I said cool and rolled away...Well almost a year later I ran saw that same Blue MX6 parked along side a local speed shop thats hard into eclipse mods.. I parked and went inside ,, and there was the guy sitting behind the desk that burned the rim around my 3000's ARSE!!, I told him who I was and he said, ,yeah i remember you..you are the guy that was messing with me on the street that night with the 3000...yeah i was just messing with you!!... We spoke for a while about the mods he did to the mazda,,, Stock IHI turbo..HKS offroad exhaust, EGR mod, intake, downpipe ,, and HKS FCON,, which basically chips the thing..,, I ended up buying his mazda from him, I couldn't resist the price!!.. I drove it for two years spanking everything from Rustang GT's to Acura NSX's, to Preludes, to Turbo GTI's,, I was running about 270hp at the crank and weighing in at only 2500lbs...stock turbo was push 19-24lbs at times...no joke!! it was making serious HP!!,, Then after about 2 years of true enjoyment, the car caught on fire because of a defective battery that ignited my air filter on fire in the middle of the night..., I have gone about 1-1/2 years without it.. and I just bought a new one yesterday!! a BLACK 89 MX6 GT...It's the fastest you can go without getting noticed!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts