Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i have a friend in NY that is extremely knowledgable in the car modification field. he told me that if i used 3M molding tape that it will hold my side skirts and rear bumper skirts just fine. i disagree with him. but he has used it many of times and believes whole-heartenly that it will work just fine. i wish i could believe him because i kinda dont want to screw into the body of my ride. anyone hear of using it on a body kit? thx.

SolarSlash

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
everybody screw and rivets the kits on the car, i have heard of useing some type of tape with the screw and rivets but not just he tape. latersuperfly

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
I'd still go with that polyurethane sealant. It really grabs good if you just clean the surfaces carefully before getting da kit on.
You got kit yet Slashie mate?
Mici

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not yet deejay....

im going across the state where my car club is located to see if i can find a good deal and good shop to put them on. they have better body shops and experienced technicians that have put on body kits. later.

SolarSlash

125 Posts
I've heard of this before, I went ahead and had mine molded mainly for looks, my guy put in some type of glue and then rivets on top of that. I would say it just depends if you want show quality look or something to look hot for the street. But also keep in mind lately there's a wave of thiefs stealing kits off cars, so keep those things in mind when you make your decision...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
youdontknownothingaboutth said:
But also keep in mind lately there's a wave of thiefs stealing kits off cars, so keep those things in mind when you make your decision...
really, what is crazy, i have not heard of that. i guess it would be easy to catch some that sold the kit off a MX6 because how many around your city have kits? but if it was a Honda(gosh) forget it!! to many to look for. latersuperfly

·
Registered
830 Posts
Actually, 3M double tape (gray color) is strong enough to hold the kit, but you have to make sure that you clean the surface very well. Many hondas have those 3 pcs rear spoilers, and the two side pieces on top of the quarter penals are hold by tape only. But, I would still use a least some screws or rivets to secure the kit. Saves you the trouble to getting out of the car, pick up the kit from the ground, and re-apply the kit again. :p

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im glad i dont have that problem...

no one in my town would steal my kit thank god :) i live in a small town so i have nothing to worry about. does anyone have a kit installed without the molded look? personally i dont think it would look right.

SolarSlash

125 Posts
well also remember there's ebay anyone can unload pretty much anything there or any type of online ad's...and they wouldn't be local...just something i thought i'd run by you, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen but keep it in mind...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i heard if you try to pull a kit off of a car you would crack it...

coldnoodle?

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Propably yes. If the bodykit is made of glasfibre, then it is so hard that it gets cracked if you start to pull it off. Or your front piece if you go against the wall or something...
Mici

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
and besides...you would have do drill the rivets out... this would entail either having night vision, a really quiet drill, and a lot of time OR stealing the car. most of those who have kits or ANY mods for that matter have an alarm... am i right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts