Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o.k some of you may remember that a while ago i was having problems engaging 3rd gear due to worn synchros!

well the problem has now developed to the point where 3rd gear is unuseable and im needing advice.( urgently!)

i tried a mx6 search but nothiung came up...

how much is a mx6 2nd gen (96) gear box?

any ideas on individual gear prices and synchros?

what the cheapest any of you ppl have got a gearbox out , fixed and installed for?

so far the cheapest ive found is $750 if i give him just the gear box......that means ive gotta pull out the bloody thing out!

OR ALTERNATIVLY...................... just how hard is it to fix the synchros ?

im an aircraft engineer so im well used to complex mechanical systems etc but i dont want to take to much of a risk......

any one got story's or advice?

I DO have access to a hoist etc.....( girlfriends dad owns a automatic tranny joint!)

THANKS in advance for any replys...

is there a online (free) version of the 2nd gen workshop manual???

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
If your an aircraft merchanic
first thing Qantas did to my year of Apprentices was build a Fe 8valve and datto gearbox.

So rebuilding a box should not be too hard for ya but, knowing you do shift work and time is not easy. It's not a quick job.

Took up to a week to do a six speed HSV box, in a car workshop.
So I say rebuild myself. Most boxes are getting on in age and rebuilds are not that expensive when you think about it as long as your gears dont' need some finishing to remove wear or damage.

I would say find out if you can get a copy of the gearbox workshop manual like reading the manual for a B737. Rebuild kit not much more need other then tools.

cheapest way.

But in my opinion you don't need to buy a 2nd hand box and of course I don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
small world.

well well well,

its a small world to bump in to another qantas employee.

yep i rebuilt a gear box in "mechanical transmissions" class.

i think i will track down the workshop manual and do it myself...... much like reading the info from a MM........ dont have a IPC though.....

ha

i just draind the oil and found NO evidence at all of metal particles in it.....i ran a magnet round in there.

so that is telling me the gears should be o.k and the synchros are the trouble ( the synchros are brassand wont be picked up!)

how hard to do with out a hoist?

i can jack the whole car up about 4ft at home..

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
FWD car Hoist. You would never use the incorrect rivet on 767 would you - Safety first. These cars it's hoist.
If your good to your Girlfriend the auto joint will have everything you need. should take you no more then 2 days to fix it up.
The only box me and mates did have been in a Datto 1600 and we picked it up all 4 of us to put it on bricks - we are quite good at that.

A gemini which had no Box had to put one in we just turned the shell on it's side on an old mattress- Mx-6 no no.

Yeah it's easy enough. Just got to take your time and check the clearences. Make sure you replace anything that looks worn.

Took us 3 days and we went to the creek in the Datto straight after putting in the rebuilt box. day out, day fix, day back in - night race.

If I still work for Qantas I would by now have built up a FE 2.3L Twin turbo.
They guys at the sydney training center at the time before they got rid of me were building a nice new engine center. Mind you I here in Melboure you have some real good stuff down there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHELL ON ITS SIDE?

ha

now i cracked a smile when i read you layd the dato over on a mattres....

yep point taken, i will utilise the hoist. that the kind of info i was after..cheers.

its funny you talk about engines @ work.

i currently have a mate (structures section) workin on a turbo and all its asociated hardwear during his breaks.

oh one must ask the question/......why did QF "get rid" of you?
take it easy
MXTC

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Ha We did the datto with ease

The Gemini was like a high school project a mate was like well from 14 all of us were helping him get it on the road it was his odler brothers now his, by end year 10 he had his L's and p's in the new year. We got if up and running. but it was hard to turn on it's side lumps of wood lots of old mattress from street clean ups but then gearbox in slowly we let it back down, then we pulled out the engine and dropped the new twincam (old but new for us ) one in.

I was in a special class and we were on like traineeship, they said in August 90% were getting in 2001. Come Spetember 11-01
Then come Ansett Colapse. Only very few were going to make it.
The two in class who were goign aviontics - only one go it in, at first but in think both in the end, for the 3 years or so more.
It was either sheety or if your lucky become a mechanical engineer.
Got to the drug testing stage and all. but for like the 4th time C Ya.

Mind you it might have been the burnout in the car park ?
Mind you lots of Areosexuals at Qantas in Sydeny - mostly in the training centers .

I other went to Bankstown and worked on smaller planes but the Cost cutting and well crude work ethics - turned me off.

About 95% of 01's class of sheetys got fired as well that year.
With a few in the other areas as well.

So I just went back to IT but I did mess about with Computer engineering and stuff like that for a year- Just hated the Maths - Calculus=yeah maths on the super level.

Funny but
I still find rebuilding an engine much easier then codeing a Flahs game or even doing Javascript

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
if your box has metal “chips” from gears they will be stuck to the circular magnet surrounding the drain plug.. the only way to know for sure I to split her open..
I can fit you up with all the info you need for a repair.. but it is easy enough.. just bolts ..and a hoist to support the engine and a jack to lower the box down/up
I dropped my box out recently and striped it down to fit my phantom grip (with a strongly suggest getting if you are going to open her up).. And a new clutch , you would be silly not to you have done all the work, and why stop there get a lightened fly wheal.. if you decide to do it your self let me know if you want some diagrams and info.. and I also have a “mainly” intact gear box..
But I have herd you can just buy new sincro rings..

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
off topic kinda....

ok can i see some pics of your LSD install ? i tried searching nothing came up.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mr. MX6 said:
And a new clutch , you would be silly not to you have done all the work, and why stop there get a lightened fly wheal..
The car already has a new clutch and lightened flywheel! :D

Unless of course, you've cooked it MXTC!!!! @-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts