Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that's what i'm dedicating to my popcorn hour next week.

just bought a 3 bay NAS and 3 1.5TB drives.

I'm consolidating the 3 external drives of varying capacities into one massive nas, and will be reallocating them (500-640 ea) for data backups, etc.

just wanted to share :)

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts

hmmm.........................

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haaaaa :)

that was mostly for the benefit of AJ.

popcorn hour (Welcome To Popcorn Hour) is a play-everything standalone media player... a (more or less) replacement for a home theater PC. 90% of my video entertainment is now down through the popcorn hour.

the 4.5TB is the amount of space in terrabytes that i'm dedicating to this. I download a crap ton of high def stuff, and currently have over 1.5TB of stuff. This will give me room to grow.

the NAS is a Network Addressable Storage - so i don't have to unplug it from the popcorn hour device when i want to upload new content.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
No I think I got my pop corn hour issue worked out.

My uncle owes me some money from a laptop he bought for me. Im going to have him buy me the new one and an internal 1 TB 32MB cache SATA drive.

As for backups still loving my home server.

Sep 11th my second internet line goes in. You should let me browse some of your movie collection.

haaaaa :)

that was mostly for the benefit of AJ.

popcorn hour (Welcome To Popcorn Hour) is a play-everything standalone media player... a (more or less) replacement for a home theater PC. 90% of my video entertainment is now down through the popcorn hour.

the 4.5TB is the amount of space in terrabytes that i'm dedicating to this. I download a crap ton of high def stuff, and currently have over 1.5TB of stuff. This will give me room to grow.

the NAS is a Network Addressable Storage - so i don't have to unplug it from the popcorn hour device when i want to upload new content.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Sweet :tup:

Home Theater PC? Pffft

It's all about the HD Radio ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
is this terrabyte thing new? i just heard some mp3 player (probaly the ipod) is coming out with a format that is capable of holding some assanine amount of "terrabytes" worth of songs. what is it? where do i get it? why can't i has itty bitty music!!!

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
that's what i'm dedicating to my popcorn hour next week.

just bought a 3 bay NAS and 3 1.5TB drives.

I'm consolidating the 3 external drives of varying capacities into one massive nas, and will be reallocating them (500-640 ea) for data backups, etc.

just wanted to share :)
Jesus. You lucky prick. I'd kill for 1 TB right about now.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I cant even imagine what would I store in a TB. I cant even fill 60 GB:lol:
I can...JB, lots and lots of JB. With you living in Florida, I'm sure there are ample opportunities to put this to some sort of recorded history...amiright?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hrm.. i can expand this to 6TB if i get the new one. (old one only supports up to 500gb IDE (even if using an ide to sata converter)

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I download a crap ton of high def stuff, and currently have over 1.5TB of stuff. This will give me room to grow.
Hmm, I have been wanting to start getting High Def movies online "not illegally" :wink: but I have never had the time to research it enough to actually attempt to DL high def content.

Do you need special media players or is the content you are downloading not related to what I am picturing in my head.

*tries to be careful not to cross illegal lines*

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mpc (media player classic) or VLC player are all you need to play.

Download the mastroka codec pack as well. That will allow you to view the h.264 compressed stuff. h.264 is just an audio-video container... that allows mp4 video to be compressed at a different rate from the audio.. and rejoined later... allows you to maintain very good quality in both, but wind up with a 4-5GB package, instead of 30GB (typical 1080p)

if you'll be watching on a laptop, regular lcd monitor, or 32" or less lcd tv... don't bother, and go for the 2GB 720p packages.

I use utorrent, mIRC, and usenet binary groups to search for releases (***not usenext, which is just a shitty front end client)

axxo is one of my favorite releasers.

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
I use ffdShow with Haali Media Splitter to play stuff using WMP11. Some of you will hound me for using WMP11, but I like it, and it's the easiest way to stream stuff to an Xbox 360.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I have a 42" LCD and 2-8800GT video cards :) Definatlly looking for the 1080P versions. I have uTorrent, just not the other programs. Also I have the matroska codec already (from my previous attempts)

The other reason I ask is because I have a blu-ray burner and wondering if it will actually work to burn movies to discs

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
neal - whatever works for you is the best option.. i personally don't like wmp11, but if its what works for you - i won't knock ya.

i like ffdshow's upscaler btw.

stealth - why would you burn anything to bd? its slow, won't look any better, and since you already have a nice setup.. why would you go through the extra steps? just stream it directly from your pc. bd discs are more expensive once you burn 15 movies than just getting a 750gb drive lol.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I realize that :) I already have my 2 raptors plus another 500Gb seagate. If I got real serious I would get another 1TB drive, but I doubt it will go that far :)

I was more interested in testing the BD burner simply because I was pondering buying a personal HD camera. When the BD takes off I would be able to distribute BD home movies to friends and family.

Also my buddy has a 60+" screen with a BD player and no movies to watch, he gets all his HD on demand and doesnt use his player at all.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Yes we can, that is all he watches, and thats why his spendy BD player is going to waste just sitting there. :lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts