Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...a friend of mine has a set of 17's that he had on his Civic for about 2 yrs. When he bought them they were right at $1200 for the rims and tires. There is nothing wrong with them an he offered them to me for only $200. Is there any way I can get a 4-lug rim to fit on my car? I looked on eBay under lug conversions and all they had were 4 to 5 lug conversions and they were trying to sell bascily the whole brake set-up and knuckle. Is there any cheap way to do this project. My dad works at a auto salvage yard so I could have acess to parts for a lower cost if needed. Any help would be great because I dont want to pass up the $200 offer.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Think about it, if you can't find any 5 to 4 conversion you'd get the hint.

No one wants a 4 lug setup, everyone I know converts to 5 and never the other way around.

And even if anyone ever makes them...highly doubt anyone ever even bother to think about it; it would probably cost an arm and leg to do it or would be so obscure someone on this board might now. Only thing I can think of is cross platforming from an Mx3 or Miata, but either would probably be mucho-dinero custom work.

In the end, the headache, cost and overall stupidity of it all isn't worth any set of wheels.

Oh and a set of $1200 17's 2 years ago can now be bought for $400 easily off of the many large internet retailers.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the reason i was asking is because $200 is a lot easier to come up with than $400, plus I wouldn't have to pay shipping which would turn the $400 into closer to $500. So I just thought that I would check and see if anyone has done this or if I can be done.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Just because you know some stuff doesn't mean you need to ridicule people, Parisifal. The reason all you find is brake and knuckle assemblies is because the brake would have to be changed to accomodate 4 lug holes instead of 5. I saw a conversion on a RPS13X 240 SX in Sport Compact Car about a year ago and they went from 4 to 5 because they wanted Skyline brakes and stuff and those are 5 lugs. So you would just need to rip off the wheels, brake calipers and rotors, and steering knuckle, then replace with the 4 lug, possible from the MX5 Miata. I'm not going to say your idea is stupid, like Parisifal said, but I do think it would be sort of a lot of work to get it done and probably more costly than just the extra 300 bucks for those wheels. Plus you would have to buy new brake rotors and calipers and they would be weaker since they're from a 4 lug assembly. Oh, and the MX6 is a bit heavy for 4 lugs. General rule of thumb is that the heavier the car is, the more lugs you need to support the weight. That's why trucks usually have 6, buses have like 12, semis have like 14 or something high like that. I hope this helps you out.
Crooks

·
Registered
271 Posts
mx6driver the best thing to do to make a profit would be to buy those rims and then sell them on ebay or put them in the paper for more than you bought them. but its not always a sure thing. look on ebay for the style rims that you are looking at to see how much they run for. then you can see how much you could try and get for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts