Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i really need to get this timing belt thing done... 450 seems alot.. but its the convenience of having the place right around the corner from my house do it....

450 includes:
timing belt
accessory belt(s)
water pump.

what else should i have done while hes under there ? only small things.. i dont want another 300$ tacked on if i really dont need it.

but is 450 for that an exhorbitant amount ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
thats not a bad price. a dealership would charge $700 or so.

as long as that includes the parts, right?

i paid $475 for a water pump, timing belt, t belt tensioner, new accessory belts installed with underdrive pulley, and he also did my VGC and a new half-shaft seal. but this guy only charges $49 an hour for labor and doesn't mark up the cheap prices he gets on parts. so i got a deal.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes includes parts.. not sure about any markup though. lol.. what does a water punp usually cost ?

also my guy is 60$/hr - but just gave me the flat price, so if it takes an hour or 3 days its 450... (i go to him a lot with all my vehicles, so we always just do flat prices.. im sure he wins out on most of em, but i havent gotten a price that was out of sync with other estimates i have gotten... just this time it seemed a little high.

i know i won out on one of the deals involving putting my exhaust on the jeep.. since i had the parts he just said - 50$ well 2 days later i got it back.. he didnt realize that every part of my exhaust and all the bolts were frozen, flaked and rusty :p (i go through a lot of deep water in my jeep.. like >2 feet of water and stuff)

he had to cut away most of the old exhaust, then try to get all the rusted bolts out... haha.. all of this and not damaging the body tub since i am very p[aranoid about that... so it was worth my 50$ that time around lol.

ok totally OT now sorry! as long as 450 doesnt sound too outrageous, i will take it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
water pumps are around $70 usually from mazda. i think you can get some for around $50 from autozone or something.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
450 is a good price ... i got my water / pump , timing belt , all accesory belts, oil sending unit , oil change , labor and brand new motor mount bolts for $496 ... Make sure he checks your timing belt tensioner. you dont want to have to pay labor to get in there again for awhile... and let him know to clean-up anything that may look out of place .. for example my motor mount bolts looked a lil worn ... so it cost like 4 bucks for new ones ... you always want to cover your ass ... and lastly tell him to bleed the cooling system good .. , this tends to be an area that mechanics kinda half-ass through, but needs to be done right or you will over heat!!!

-Scuba-

·
Registered
293 Posts
surfstar

Hey, Surfstar, how many miles did you have on your mex when you changed timimg belt and pump?
I've got 123k miles. Mazda told me today its $300 for belt change including parts & labor. I've just bought belt for $30 and am going to do it myself this weekend.
Also would like to flush radiator. I've bought flushing kit for $3. Has anybody done it before>?

Thanx,

Max.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
wow $30 for a belt is a good price ... and if mazda told you it was $300 to do it .. I'd go for it .. thats hella cheap, unbelivably cheap .. you ought to do your water pump while your in there ... hold i just realized .. i bet you have the 4-banger 6 dont ya ... i dont know how difficult the 4-banger is.. but i know the 6-banger is a lot more difficult, and the job sucks ass .... later ..

·
Registered
293 Posts
yeah

I've got 4 banger. How much is for water pump?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'd say the price is high. I paid like $320 including tax for the timing belt and accessory belt job on my 95 LS at a Mazda dealer. That was at 60K. I will be doing the next one myself, including a water pump.

For my 95 Subaru (longitudinal engine) it was $220 at an independent shop for timing belt (Gates), accessory belts, & cam seals. Now that is cheap.

I wouldn't go with a cheap brand of timing belt on the 4 cylinder. Stick with an OEM belt or a Gates. If it breaks on the 4 cylinder, you're gonna be crying of bent valves.

Tyson

·
Registered
511 Posts
Re: surfstar

MadMAxMx-6 said:
Hey, Surfstar, how many miles did you have on your mex when you changed timimg belt and pump?
I've got 123k miles. Mazda told me today its $300 for belt change including parts & labor. I've just bought belt for $30 and am going to do it myself this weekend.

Thanx,

Max.
i had around 82k miles. i had just bought the car and the previous owner had never done it so i was my first priority.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
holy crapp hahaha thats EXACTLY my problem now :) 85k..

but honestly - i took a look at the old timing belt and it doesnt look worn or anything! do they just *snap* or is it a gradual thing ?

and why cant manufacturers use timing chains anymore?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I paid 450 just for the water pump and this black round thing that attaches to it. They guy basically robbed me because I went to another mechanic who told me that it was just a bad radiator cap that was leaking the water.... Oh well I guess you live and learn...

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i managed to talk the guy down to 400.. he didnt even argue... i just reminded him that i do a LOT of business with him (3 different cars, 2 of mine and my parents - and we take all our general maintenance stuff to him)

thats for timing, accessory, water pump, and tightening a few things that were rattling around under there.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That's a little more reasonable. I think the dealer charges a fraction of an hour to do the water pump along with a timing belt job.

You probably want to have them inspect your camshaft seals when they do this. It will be apparent once the cover is removed if the seals are seeping or not.

Tyson

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ack too late.. its already been done.. dropped it off yesterday picking it up today.

are the camshaft seals something i can check myself?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You can check yourself if you enjoy removing the timing cover :) The cam seals are behind the timing belt, which is why I suggested inspecting them while doing the belt.

Tyson

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is there a :DOH!: face i can use ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
i forgot but it may be too late - are you doing the timing belt tensioner? it may be good still, but its also good to replace.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'll ask the guy if he did that - i have to go pick up the car annd my reciept today..

basically i trust him and he agreed to do what needs to be done.. 400 for the belts/pump and if there are miscellaneous things to do - just add them.

he's a good guy.. usually he calls me before "just adding" things, and since he hasnt called yet - either that means, no no new tensioner, or its a cheap enough thing that he just threw it on without charging.

how much are they anyways ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
about $90 from the store or from where he gets his parts probably half that.

but it may not need to be replaced

1 - 20 of 21 Posts