Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

4cil swap to ls v6 or klze

1859 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  ls six
i have a 1993 mazda mx6 and it has 200k miles its still running strong but i would really like to throw a new engine in it. what would be the best option i would like a 4cil turbo or a ls v6 turbo or a klze am i able to take out the four banger and drop a 6cil engine and tranny will everything bolt up or do i need a whole new harness aand are there any other clearence issues.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
It'd take a lot to drop in a V6, either DE or ZE. Nothing's bolt up, you'd need new mounts I believe, new trans, new ECU, wiring harness, ect, ect.... It'd take a lot of work, a lot more than buying an LS outright.

I'd say possibly getting the FS-ZE through an importer and then turboing it personally.

Oh, and turboing a V6 is a pain. Very little room to work with apparently. I4's are a lot easier.
if you have never swapped an engine in a car this is something you dont want to do. As said tranny's, ECU's, engine harness's, engines, mounts, engine components...............

Like i said, if you all you have ever done is change brakes or change the oil, you are not ready for something like this. There's a lot more to turboing than bolting it on. If the fuel isn't calculated right your turbo car could easily last 2 days and explode. Far easier to look around for a faster mx6 than it would be to do it. Espically if you don't have the tools, cause you'll need a good amount to do an engine/tranny swap.

Maybe not a huge number but something a bit more than just a basic socket and wrench set.
oh i have the skill to do it and the tools and alot of friends with way more exp. but i was curious if i could take the 4cil out and put in a six. i guess the question was what all needs to be changed out. and what ppl think i should do put a turbo 4 in or a v6.
A V6 swap is definitely a "bolt in" job.

Best bet is to get a parts car or a front cut. If you want the complete LS setup dont forget the rear discs (unless you have ABS since that automaticaly added 4 wheel discs)

Theres a how to on the sight but I havent read it so I have no idea if it's accurate or not.

To illustrate just how simple it is a friend of mine last year swapped a 1.6L SOHC motor and trans in to his GS MX-3 (1.8L V6) just because the V6 was running on 3 cyls and falling apart and he didnt have the $120 to pick a 2.5.

We are prepping to do a USDM millenia curved neck swap.
When you start a question like this, I can tell you don't know much about the 6 and anything about engine.................

There is only one person I know on this site did it and it does not worth the time, labor & money at all. It does not make sense you would rather pay a lot more to swap the i4than just buy another MX6 V6.
For the people that say its not worth your time i dont believe that to the fullest extent. Getting a good LS in my parts is pretty hard, plus the joy of rebuilding a v6 and knowing your dropping in a good running engine makes it a joy. Id say go for it.
True. LS's are getting rare and the swap gives you the chance to take care of certain long term maintinance issues.

The drum to disc conversion is just an excuse to step up to 626 or larger equipment.

It takes a lot of labor to do many needed services so having the drivetrain out allready helps.
Interesting.......you are trying to swap I4 to V6 right?

AFAIK, you need to swap almost everything from the V6. Even the guy said it will not worth it..............when I say almost , I will think like 90% of the parts. So....you still need most of the LS parts in order to do it.....then what is the point?

You are welcome to educate me if you can list the minimum parts of the swap.
thats just like the first gen where people say its not worth the time to make a GT. Sometimes in some places they are unheard of. To be honest i've seen like 2 2nd gen mx6's and neither were LS's. So i say if you think you can, go find the DE and build it first. Make sure you have some good internals. Then hunt down the other stuff you need. Which i'm sure is a new ECU, probably mounts and whatever else. Also if your swapping from atx to manual, its really not worth it lol.

Lots more fun but thats such a pain.
thats just like the first gen where people say its not worth the time to make a GT. Sometimes in some places they are unheard of.
I have only ever seen 1 1G GT MX-6 for sale around here and the very next day after I said I wanted it it burned to the ground in the dealers lot.

The one PGT-T I saw and test drove was a pile.

I am very open to buying an N/A 88-92 car and turboing it or swapping an FE.

Theres just no other way I can find one around here.
the reason why i want to swap is because i have a vary nice car. it was well taken care of there is no rust on it at all. the only thing is i have 200k miles on it. i'm putting a new engine in it and my question was just to see if putting a v6 was 1 an option and 2 what some opinions were a v6 or a better 4cil. there is no reason to question my ability to do any of the work.
just boost your stock fsde.

now that i am done boosting my v6, i would have traded it in a SECOND for a (cheaper also) 4 cylinder. they weigh a lot less, and you have SO much more room and equiptment to work with.
relax dude, your first post was kinda iffy on if you knew what you were doing. I was just saying if you dont' do this sort of thing normally you might not want to accidentally do something you dont know how to fix.

I'm turboing my car cause the same thing, its perfectly find with minimal rust and COMPLETELY RUST FREE STRUT TOWERS BITCHES!!!! I decided to look the other day after hearing countless stories of how bad they are. Although the strut caps are completely rusted through but...anyway back to this.

I say if you want to do it, do it. Its plenty of satisfaction at the end of the day when you complelety change something for the better. I can't offer a lot of 2nd gen help but they are sweet looking cars. But sorry about the comment of your ability, didn't intend to offend you.
its all good. i just decided to get a new four cil and turbo it. i have always liked four bangers and i would rather stick with what i know. and what im used to. but your right i dont know anythin about the ls sixes
just boost your stock fsde.

now that i am done boosting my v6, i would have traded it in a SECOND for a (cheaper also) 4 cylinder. they weigh a lot less, and you have SO much more room and equiptment to work with.
The motor it's self is only a 40 pound difference. The rest of the weight it from the common V6 options and features. Just the wing makes a difference.

So if your ok with giving up all the nice features of the V6 then go for it.

4 bangers did come with 4 wheel discs when ABS was optioned so keep that in mind and they were also available with most of the V 6's weight adding options so there may not be a big weight difference between the two depending on the cars.

its all good. i just decided to get a new four cil and turbo it. i have always liked four bangers and i would rather stick with what i know. and what im used to. but your right i dont know anythin about the ls sixes

The 4 banger is easier to turbo but the KL will make much more power much easier when boosted. Look at all the Mazdaspeed Protege owners that break FS's with just a little extra boost.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.