Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm well on my way to getting one of these and was wondering which of the two engines had the better aftermarket for mods.

I'm not looking for all out straight line power, I'd like to have a good mix of power and handling.

Let me know what you guys think.

Treker

·
Registered
179 Posts
Definetly the V6 5 speed. It already has great power and handling. No other choice. It will beat most stock v6 mustangs, camaros, civics, accords and etc. Its a great car and Welcome to the board. Where do you live?

·
Registered
781 Posts
GO for the LS

Get the V6 5spd
there are a bunch of aftermarket things for our cars now
Ya just have to hunt for em. Which makes it fun and challenging
If you do find a 4 cylinder 5spd REALLY cheap
and im talking like $2500 cheaper than a V6 you can go ahead and buy the KLZE from CorkSport with the updated computer for $2300 or from Japan Direct in S.C. for like$900(with your stock Computer)
the KLZE is the J-Spec V6 with 200hp.
Thats 36 more horsepower than our Stock V6's
There are usually a couple MX6's in the AutoTrader
Good Luck
Im in Merritt Island (by CocoaBeach) if ya need help
later- Kenny

[Edited by MZDASPDR on 01-30-2001 at 12:24 PM]

·
Registered
148 Posts
turbo

I rather spend the money upgrading the pistons and rods of the US spec V6 to handle a lot of boost from a turbo charger.... prob 1-2g's more (or more) than a new KLZE would cost... and you get that 400+ hp at the wheels (only if you upgrade the fuel delivery and get the forged pistons and rods which alone cost just as much as the turbo charger!)...that should put you in the 11's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Overall the KLZE is not really worth the money. Remember a full engine swap costs a lot in labor. Just get a V6 it'll be a lot easier to get performance out of it, assuming you're even interested in getting into hardcore performance mods past the bolt-ons. A supercharger from Thomas Knight would work good, probably 220hp at the wheels (maybe 260-270 hp at the flywheel, which is how manufacturers measure it) for around $2000-$2500. Not a bad deal and would get you into the high/mid 13 second 1/4 mile.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm most definatly interested in the "hardcore" mods but the one thing that I'm not that interested in is quarter mile times....I want good power and handling for autocross applications. thanks for all the input.

Adam

·
Registered
781 Posts
OK HERES THE SCOOP!

OK guys
if you know the right guy to do the engine swap for the KLZE its not that expensive.
My mechanic(club Prez) did the swap for one of our guys ProbeGT he did it in 5hours only 375 in labor
the Turbo kit from TKT takes 16hours to install. Go ahead and ask him. the Supercharger only take about 7 to 8 to install the TKT system. So for almost the same price for BOTH kits would you rather pay 8hours in labor or DOUBLE the Time. ANd also the Turbo is only barely 1/4sec faster than the SuperchargerKIT.
and you can get the KLZE from JapanDirect in SouthCarolina
for $875.

·
Registered
179 Posts
$875 hmmm well maybe i should use my insurance money and buy a KLZE! o yeah.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That would be so awesome. I might really consider it! Let me see how much i get back!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts