Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's my question, i attempted to be my own mechanic instead of using a professinonal, and i screwed up my 4cyl, now i have tro replace it. Is it possible to switch to a ZE from a 4cyl? i have heard conflicting views, some pople say the swap form 4cyl-->ZE is way too hard, but my Q is if you can do a 4cyl-->V6 swap, what would be so different in doing a 4cyl--->ZE swap, can it be done or should i just slap a new 4 cyl in? and if i should keep the 4 cyl, where is a good place to get a good one, not just some junk yard version.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
here is a little add on since i just did some searching. It does't sound like the 4cyl-->ZE swap is as hard as i thought it was, so if i decide to do it, which i am pretty sure i will, is this a good one to buy, price wise and does it have everything i need, in the sticky they say to buy a donor, but it looks like this comes with most everything, appreciate all the help guys.
http://www.jazzproparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KLZE

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
i'm thinking you meant to put a link in that second post. ;)

i can't imagine it's all that terribly difficult. you'll need a v6 transmission and axles, a v6 wiring harness and ECU, a v6 radiator and hoses, the v6 intermediate exhaust pipe (the 4cyl's is about 6" too long), and v6 motor mounts at a minimum. you'll probably need a bunch of little odds and ends pieces, so it's usually recommended that you have a v6 donor car when you do the swap. i'm not sure if you'll need a rack and pinion setup from a v6 car, but at the very least you'll need the hoses.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
not a bad price, but www.noyanusa.com is better. ;) that where i got mine. Oh, and it as $1020 shipped to my door. :tup:

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
If you get a junker probe mx6/probe gt its so easy.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
If you don't LOVE your car, I'd sell it and buy a V6.. swapping from I4 is a pain because it's not just the engine or engine harness, it's also the tranny, axles, ECU harnesses, etc etc etc

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Its not easy doing that swap.and 2.0s are everywhere cheap.Ive had junkyard 2.0s that took 9psi and ran great .200 whp(est) 2.0 with a .54 trim t3 and good tuning.If not just look for an ls

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
if i were you i would not even bother trying to do the swap. i personally i dont think it would be worth it all. if your wanting to do it because of power wise, your better off getting another 4cyl. and boosting it. you will have more power then the ze, with alot less hassle. now you can also swap a ze and then boost that, but as other people said, if yourwanting the v6, you should just sell you car and get an ls/gt.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Funny you ask, Im nearing the end of an i4 auto to klze manual conversion :) ALOT of fucking around... my workshop are charging me a shit load... the i4 auto has to have all the body harnesses replaced.

It was meant to be finished today, they started the ZE, 5secs it carked it, and wont start now... not getting a spark... think the dizzy is dead... so Im one dizzy away from completing i4 auto to klze manual.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i'm not doing it, i figure if i were gonna get a ZE i would be better off to start with a V6, and when you combine the cost of an LS, the cost of a ZE and the cost of the swap, that will be a WHOLE LOT of money, i'm just going to continue with this motor, the shop has it torn apart right now, doing a full rebuild, then i'll work from there.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
toxicmx6 said:
Get the FSZE is the 4 cyl version of the KLZE...comes with 175hp
:rolleyes:

And it's never been successfully fitted into a North American market MX6... great, great plan. Just what we need, 500 more threads asking about this topic.

·
Registered
527 Posts
here is a picture of a fsze swap...done by billy

the mazda protege comes with the fsze as well.

or you can build one yourself

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
toxicmx6 said:
here is a picture of a fsze swap...done by billy

the mazda protege comes with the fsze as well.

or you can build one yourself
Thats a picture of a engine attached to a hoist resting in an engine bay.

The Protege does not have the FSZE, nor can you "build one" yourself.

:zzz:

·
Registered
527 Posts
fsze

dont listen to ignorant people with no knoledge of cars at all..
the fsze engine swap can be done..anything can be done with money and effort.

there is a mazda protege that comes with the fsze engine in it and turbo

and you can build your fsze engine as well go to corkspot and you will find the parts.

and this is for you malicious..:flipa: @- :flipa: @- :flipa: @-

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
wow, that's amazing that the engine in that protege makes 170hp, just like an FSZE!

However, :idea:, maybe you missed the fact that it does that because IT'S TURBOCHARGED. :sigh: The FSZE is n/a. How about you do your own research before casting stones.

EDIT: Oh, and toxicmx6, i banned your "Pushingit" account, because "pushing it" is all that the account did. don't even try to argue, because you both have the same ip address. creating duplicate accounts is against our site rules. creating a duplicate account just to flame is grounds for a ban. don't do it again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts