Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I searched and found some answers I was looking for, but I was seeing if anyone could help me on the ones I didnt find...

-There is a bracket that holds the rear swaybar endlink to the rear knuckle. It is held on by 2 bolts. What are the torque specs on these? I couldnt find them in the list of torque specs... And does anyone know what length/size the bolts are offhand? I would prefer not to have to remove one of the 2 from the other side to bring into the hardware store if I dont have to... the 2 on one side must not have been torqued down correctly as they fell off under hard cornering the other day:shrug:

-Rear endlinks. Obviously not the same as the 2WD ones. I notice that the top half are just the same as the 2wd ones. has anyone ever checked to see if Energy Suspension makes ones that would have the same diameter/length of shaft for the rears? I dont have my old ones handy (just sold them:() so I dont know... I know Mazda still carries the 4WS specific ones, but they are unrealistically expensive.:shrug: Or does any other cars have the same endlinks that work on ours also? I understand from reading some of Marty's posts that I could use the poly bushings with the stock metal, but unfortunately one of the metal shafts for the endlinks has become twisted and bent at a 45 degree angle, so that is not an option:eek:

-Swaybar bushings. Just making sure that these are the stock MX6 GT 16mm ones for the rear, and the 20mm ones for the front, correct?

-Rims. I know you must keep the stock 195 width for the 4WS to remain intact, but if I upgrade to 195/50/16's, do I need to retain the stock offset? I have 2g 5spokes Id like to use, but they have a crazy offset compared to stock...

-Gas Tank. Has anyone found a fucking alternative to the stock pile of fucking shit one?

-Poly bushings - Has anyone tried (or succeeded) in finding if SuperPro makes bushings for our rears? (I know the front would be the same obviously...)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
-Gas Tank. Has anyone found a [fizzle]ing alternative to the stock pile of [fizzle]ing [shizzle] one?
this is one i know. the only three options i know of are...
a. cut half the tank off :rolleyes:
b. i believe someone cut and welded a channel so the gas could just flow back to the otherside.
c. fuel cell

you could also remove the whole transfer system and just have both sides pump (with normal pumps) to a surge tank. never heard of seen it done, just a thought.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YEah, I wanted to avoid going to a fuel cell. But frankly unless I can find a good deal on a 4ws tank, its probably going to be cheaper than replacing the tank (MAzda wants $350-$650 for a new one). But I can get a fuel cell for $150, and the lines and shot for ~$100... I just dont knpow if I trust myself to hook up something that important...

Someone had mentioned maybe using a smaller tank, such as a plastic one from a cavalier, but then id have to make a bracketr for the stock pump to bolt onto it...

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
theres a company (dont remeber who) that makes a 8 gallon fuel cell that goes in your spare tire hole. if i were to do any fuelcell, that would probably top my list.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Theres loads of fuel cells on the market. You can have plastic ones up to 18 gallons for about 200 maximum. Its a steal.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^Yeah most of the cells Ive seen at the local shops are 10gallon ones, and run about $150. Its just then you have to buy the brackets, the braided fuel lines, the bulkhead fittings, make some way to get the fuel pump to mount on, possibly have to add another inline fuel filter, blah blah blah blah...

The only thing that really keeps me from wanitng the cell is that you end up having to pop your trunk to fill up with gas, and the fuel door/filler tube becomes useless.:shrug:

theres a company (dont remeber who) that makes a 8 gallon fuel cell that goes in your spare tire hole. if i were to do any fuelcell, that would probably top my list
Thats pretty neat. I havent seen that b4.... if it was cheap Id definately be interested...

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Bump. Still looking for any answers...
I know it is a 14mm head bolt about 1inch long or so. I know you have a stash of mazda bits to toss on there. the end is NOT tapered. It is 90. This will attach the rear swaybar link to the knuckle. then 22-35ft-lbs. It is section 10 of the FSM. At least in my book. :angel:But seriously take the fer off and have a friend drive you to the hardware store. Hand friend a beer and mission accomplished.

I put 20mm front energy suspension bushings on. I would just buy the expensive ass parts while you still can. I still wish i had a few special mazda parts under my bed.

Location of a fuel cell is crucial to handling dynamics. I wouldn't suggest the wheelwell on our cars for this type of installation since the weight wouldn't be close enough to the center of the axle. Just a thought.

I ordered a tank a year ago and it arrived at my dealer. I couldn't come up with all the cash and they sent it back. I can try to get you one for 560. I really don't think there are any plausable alternatives. Or fab one yourself.

Good luck and how is she lookin? no recent pics yet?

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put 20mm front energy suspension bushings on. I would just buy the expensive ass parts while you still can. I still wish i had a few special mazda parts under my bed.
I am thinking about it, but Ill still end up needing to buy the poly bushings. Might as well see if I can get the stiffer endlink rods while Im at it:shrug:

Location of a fuel cell is crucial to handling dynamics. I wouldn't suggest the wheelwell on our cars for this type of installation since the weight wouldn't be close enough to the center of the axle. Just a thought.
I was thinking of just strapping it in the same spot that the stoick tank is in, if i go that route.

I ordered a tank a year ago and it arrived at my dealer. I couldn't come up with all the cash and they sent it back. I can try to get you one for 560. I really don't think there are any plausable alternatives. Or fab one yourself.
A junkyard in Iowa has one for sale that Im going to drive down to get. Im just waiting for them to call back to verify they have it before I drive 3 hours there. Otherwise Im going to drop mine and have it fixed.

On top of the $560 (Which is a ripoff, BTW. My local dealer quoted me $440 or so) that route id end up having to pay for shipping, which would be killer.

Good luck and how is she lookin? no recent pics yet?
Im waiting with the before and after pics. We need to put the new rear window in 2morrow.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. In the meantime, the car sits in the garage. Cant put those bolts in untill I get the new endlinks.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
No. In the meantime, the car sits in the garage. Cant put those bolts in untill I get the new endlinks.
I am in the garage too...putting on a new turbo. If only i could find my gasket maker....damn oil return line.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I answered a few of these questions myself lately...

The 2 bolts that hold the bracket to the knuckle are M10x1.25x25mm.

The 2g 5stars worked for me, even with using 205/50/16's for tires (Kuhmo ASX) and I was able to retain teh 4ws.

Rear endlinks: Still cant find a viable alternative. I ended up just using an OEM endlink with the Energy Suspension poly bushings:shrug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts