Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

4ws

339 views 34 replies 3 participants last post by  xXCloud 
#1 ·
I bought my car knowing that it had 4WS, but it never worked. I was wondering if anyone knew why. My rear strut mounts are broken I'm not sure if that's the problem.

#4 ·
no 4ws light will 3 things ... the bulb has blown, check it, the 4ws ecu is not plugged in or has power, check that, its in the boot, black box. and finally the problem is not electronic, possibly meaning the broken top mounts are affecting it, you should get these fixed anyway if they are severly broken, as when you jack the rear of the car up, the wheels will stay in the floor, strut and all ...

#13 ·
ok .. well you need to check you have spark, pull a plug out, connect it to its lead, rest it on the engine and have someone crank the car or watch the plug and see if it sparks. If its sparking, you then need to check fuel.

And you deffinately did nothing other than unplug a black box in the boot ?

The fuse to check is the pink ENG/INJ in the box in the engine bay.

#15 ·
No probs ..

Ok, i thkn i know which black box you found, and was it just below or next to the trunk catch ? if so thats the rear light cluster check control box. The 4WS control box lives in the left hand well behind the wheel arch or on that side inner wing. Thats where you need to check, and also check for any voltages on the pins of the wiring loom.

#16 ·
Alrighty this is actually what I found..
Directly under the radio near tand under the shift boot

Oh so THAT'S what's in the trunk! I saw that when I was hooking up a ground wire to my car thanks I'll check that out when my car is up and running again.

#18 ·
Yeah I know I found it when I was grounding my amp a while back but never knew what it was, but that unit in the picture is the thing that I unplugged. I hope that I didn't mess that up somehow and my mechanic is wrong about it being the distributor that is causing no spark.

#19 ·
Ok well, as long as you have plugged that back up correctly, is shoud be okay, try reseating the plugs to it, as everything was fine before you removed it. Does the Check Engine light go out when yo are trying to start it ? it should come on at ignition to on and the dash shows all the check bulbs and then they go out apart from oil and battery, does the check engine light go out ?

#20 ·
Nope I put my car on and when I try to start it it stays on, so it's weird. I kept reseating the plugs but still no luck. So I hope it is the distributor I hope my mechanic doesn't fix it and then it still won't start. That'd seriously suck. If there was a problem with the ECU the check engine light wouldn't go on while trying to turn am I correct?

#22 ·
Lol that's confusing, either way after my mechanic fixes my distributor I doubt that it's going to fix it. So I just bought a new ECU just incase I found a deal on ebay it was about to sell so I jumped on it. I'm just hoping my car will run again... :(

#26 ·
Does the 4WS symbol on the dash light up when you put the ignition to on ? then go off when the car is started ? If it does come on, then go off and not come back on again, the you are looking at a mechanical problem, be it fluid pressure or a problem with the transfer shaft.

Lets confirm the 4WS light works ok first ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.