Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of anyone using these, i know its usually the other way around but i have a 1000 dollar set of nearly mint rims that id love to put on my car but there 4x108. Are adapters safe at higher speeds?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Uh... Wouldn't an adapter stick out quite a ways, or something? I've never seen one, but, I dunno... Why not sell them and get some nice 5 lugs? And, how'd you end up with a set of $1k 4 lugs anyway? :confused:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Off the ford focus svt we had. I put them up for sale for 500 bucks so i could get some new 5 lug rims but i dont know if they will ever sell lol.

·
Registered
954 Posts
4 lugs are generally less secure since there's 4 lateral support points on the wheel rather than 5. With a 5 lug, each lug nut takes less force to secure the wheel onto the hub. Think of it this way: woult you rather balance a big dinner plate with 4 fingers or 5 ?
Also ive never seen a car with a 4x108 bolt pattern so that'll make it more of a challenge to find adaptors that'll fit.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
its not the missing lug that matters... its the fact that the adaptor between the two (I doubt one exists) Would be a VERY weak point... no way in hell would I do that.

oh and btw why is it $1000 worth of rims that you dont think you will get $500 for? lol

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because their 4x108, kinda odd size. Exact style rims I want, just not the right lug size lol.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've seen 4 to 5 lug adapters and 5x100-5x114 but never 5-4 lug adapters. All these adapters are also at least an inch thick so they would really push the wheels out even if you could find them.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've seen 4 to 5 lug adapters and 5x100-5x114 but never 5-4 lug adapters. All these adapters are also at least an inch thick so they would really push the wheels out even if you could find them.
Exactly what I was thinking. Mad crazy offset....

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Maybe you could press out all the studs and convert the hubs to take bolts (like early Mazdas)....but even then you'd probably need to have 4x114.3 rims so as to use one of the holes for both pattens, otherwise you'd end up with not enough metal between the holes.

Eitherway, its probably easier to sell those wheels and use the cash to buy some similar ones....

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The only way I could see this working is if you get 4 hubs from either a protege or mx3 (<-I think they use 4 lug), and press them into your steering kuckle (front two). But, you'll have to remove the studs that are there, drill 4 new holes with the 108 spacing (what cars use that anyway?) and put the studs back. You'll also have to check the spline count/size of the front 2 for the axles. This way they won't stick out. By no means would I consider doing this, but it's the most reasonable option imo.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The only way I could see this working is if you get 4 hubs from either a protege or mx3 (<-I think they use 4 lug), and press them into your steering kuckle (front two). But, you'll have to remove the studs that are there, drill 4 new holes with the 108 spacing (what cars use that anyway?) and put the studs back. You'll also have to check the spline count/size of the front 2 for the axles. This way they won't stick out. By no means would I consider doing this, but it's the most reasonable option imo.
The protege I4 and Mx3 are 4 lug....

4x108 is Audi, and some others see : Alloy wheel fitments and pcd's.

The 4 lug hubs are usually 26 spline, so you would need custom drive shafts....

I think there maybe a 4 lug 28 spline hub, it might be a Kia sepphia, but check clubprotege.com for that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts