Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k.. this is the 2nd year I have owned my MX and it has been this way every winter... IM SICK OF IT!!!! Only during cold weather when the engine/transmission are cold I have the hardest time shifting into second gear! This year it seems to have gotten much worse... Now I HAVE to warm it all up really really well just to be able to get into second gear. Yet after about 5 mins of driving it shifts as smooth as any warm summer day...

PLEASE POST ANY SUGGESTIONS OR PERSONAL OCCURANCES!!!

I am just about to start shopping for a new transmission as the clutch has already been changed out and it made no difference.

Do I need some transmission work????

Thanx,
Dave.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
dacr11 said:
O.k.. this is the 2nd year I have owned my MX and it has been this way every winter... IM SICK OF IT!!!! Only during cold weather when the engine/transmission are cold I have the hardest time shifting into second gear! This year it seems to have gotten much worse... Now I HAVE to warm it all up really really well just to be able to get into second gear. Yet after about 5 mins of driving it shifts as smooth as any warm summer day...

PLEASE POST ANY SUGGESTIONS OR PERSONAL OCCURANCES!!!

I am just about to start shopping for a new transmission as the clutch has already been changed out and it made no difference.

Do I need some transmission work????

Thanx,
Dave.
The notchiness you feel is actually due to the way the 2nd- and reverse-gears are layed out in the transmission. As the lever moves from 1st to second, there's a momentary "interplay" with the reverse gear (if that makes sense) due to shared components between 1st, 2nd and reverse. In short, every V6 owner (and 4 banger too) knows of this 2nd-gear notch and hates it.

It's worse when it's cold because the fluid is like molasses (i.e. increased viscosity due to the cold.) The only solution I've heard of is to go to Redline trans fluid, and even then it's only a partial solution. The notchiness will always be there but the Redline fluid, apparently, does a great job over other oils of at least reducing it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dude, don't shop for a new transmission, it's just your transmission fluid. My shifter is like slightly notchy for 2 shifts in the cold. But after that, it is perfect. It's obvious that shifts won't be smooth the first time shifting, cause the fluid is thicker. Get some Redline MTL or MT-90, I think MTL is thinner than MT-90, so it would be better for you. Your shifting will be smoother in cold and warm. When warm, i have no notchiness whatsoever on my 130,000 mile old transmission. Get three bottles of it, (2.9 fills it) and drain the other stuff out through the drain plug, and put the new Redline in through the fill plug. It's about 7-8 bucks a bottle for it, but well worth it, plus it's better for you transmission. It has the perfect coefficient of friction for the synchros.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks guys for your help.. I am so happy its a normal thing.. I have never had that in any of my other cars.. I guess this mx6 tranny is just strange that way. I will have to find some trans fluid and change it out.. Thanx for a cheaper fix!

Dave.

G

·
I know what you are talking about, the second gear syncronigizer is going bad. Each gear has one and what they do is match up the speed of the clutch and the gears in the transmission. It not to serious though, becuase it doesnt sound like they are totally gone, or even close. Its common to notice these things in the winter becuase the fluid has a higher viscosity, and it needs to warm up. The solution though is to use a synhetic transmission oil. I had the same problem 3 years ago in my Toyota MR2, and I though I needed transmission work, but someone told me what I told you, and I ordered this really really good transmission fluid from Redline in California. I highly recomend "Redline MTL". I put that in my MR2 and never had another problem with the transmisson again. And I live in Michigan, so I know about cold weather and driving in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts