Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93' LS 5 speed. How do I check for the transmission oil level? Obviously we all know that the MX6 owner's manual puts an emphasis on auto-transmission in great detail. Can anyone answer this simple question?
Also, please recommend which gearbox oil to use. Currently I am using the Mobil 1 75w90 and paid $70 just to get it flushed and refilled. While I'm at it, I might as well sneak in another question, how much oil does the gearbox take?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
To check the fluid level, remove the oil-fill plug. It's on teh front of the transmission directly above the back-up lamp switch (which is the "sensor" with the wires coming out of it). Oil should be up to the bottom of that hole. It might come seeping out...that's good. If none comes out and the car is reasonably level, add some oil.

I'll recommend Redline MTL or MT-90 as a good replacement oil.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Get the Mobil 1 out of there NOW!

Mobil 1 has sulfers in it which eat away at the brass syncros in out manual transmissions. It is stated on teh side of the Mobil 1 container not to use it in certain applications that have these. Your best bet would be wither Redline, GM Syncromesh or Royal Purple. They cost but work well, especially in cold weather.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I went to the purple oil site and im not sure what to get. What do you gys think which motor oil and transmission stuff i should get. Theres like so many diggert kind. Thanks

G

·
When I flushed my transmission they guy I asked told me just to run a liter of synthetic through and then put the plug back in and fill the rest of the trany with synthetic, it takes about 3liters.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm all set !!!

OK guys, I have my 2 bottles of Redline MTL and 1 bottle of Redline MT90 and I'm gettin gready to change the tranny fluid.

I know the size of the drain and fill plug is 23mm but can anyone specify where these are located. if anyone has any pictures I would greatly appreciate it. I was down there last night and couldn;t find anything.... maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Anyone...?

·
Registered
61 Posts
where's them holes

the drain plug is, well, on the bottom. it should have a washer around it which makes it a pretty easy find. not to mention i don't recall there being a lot of 23mm bolts on the bottom of it.

around to the left side (the side facing the front bumper) is the fill plug. when you see the bolt you'll say "that can't be the fill hole, it's facing DOWN".

and yeah, like everyone says: make sure you can unscrew the fill plug before you drain the old oil.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just got my tranny oil replaced at Mr. Lube. Does anyone think that they might've put in oil that might be harmful to my tranny? It wasn't synthetic..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
asso said:
I just got my tranny oil replaced at Mr. Lube. Does anyone think that they might've put in oil that might be harmful to my tranny? It wasn't synthetic..
Yeah, it's very possible. I've been reading a lot about this and as you know our trannies are very picky when it comes to its oil. I forget what it is but there is this chemical on some types of oil that eat up certain parts faster. I really don't know the specifics.

The best oil to use, I've read is REDLINE MTL/MT90 in a 2/1 ratio respectively.

That's what I'm ordering and what I'm going to use when I maintenance-up my baby this spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts