Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, heres the deal. I had my heart set on a 5-speed LS like you wouldn't believe, I struck a deal with a guy 300 miles away for a silver 5-peed with 90K on it. He calls me up last night and says, guess what? The engine just blew!! Well, down in Miami (200 miles away) there is a silver (excellent condition) MX-6 LS auto with only 70K on it for the same price, should I just settle for an auto and buy it at a good price? I think I should... ??? Give me your opinions!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I definitely think you SHOULD'T get the auto. First of all it has 70K miles,second of all (not to mock any of the ATX's out there) but an ATX does not compare to an MTX. Also, the MTX's transmission is not a good one. It will definitely either have to be rebuilt or replaced pretty soon if it has 70K on it.

I always thought, if you're gonna make a commitment, especially to a car, I would wait and get something that you definitely believe is worth it. I for one, don't think that that car is worth it. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
MTX or ATX?

JPMX6GT said:
Also, the MTX's transmission is not a good one. It will definitely either have to be rebuilt or replaced pretty soon if it has 70K on it.
You did mean that the ATX is not a good tranny right? Just checking to eliminate any confusion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I really don't know man, he's only asking 5,500 for it and it has no accident history, its in MINT condition with every feature too. I want a 5-speed really badly, however to fit the silver shogun kit I have ready, its hard to find a MINT condition SILVER mx-6 5-SPEED with low miles at a good deal! Trust me, I've been look'n! Plus, my MX-6 has gone 225,000 and the ATX lasted all that time! Do you still think I should chunk this deal? Lemme know soon, cause I'm going there tomorrow! Thanks guys!

[Edited by Ralph on 12-14-2000 at 01:04 AM]

G

·
Hmmmmm, what to do what to do... I would say wait till you find a nice 5-speed, but if you have your heart set on a silver mint LS and don't really care what the transmission is then go 4 it. I mean, who are we to tell you what to get. Some people like the 5speed more some like the auto more it's all personal preference.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Ralph, the other thing to think about is that it is possible to swap the ATX for a 5-speed later down the road if you really want to. All the parts are common and easy to find in wrecking yards, not that expensive and, with the right tools, not even that hard.

So maybe you should buy the rare mint silver LS ATX and if you want, start saving your pennies for a possible future MXT swap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The verdict!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but guess what?! I went down to Miami today to check it out. The exterior was in excellent shape, but the interior was horrible! I was so PISSED! I must has asked him 50 times, does everything fit the description, I'm driving a long way! "Yes, its in perfect condition inside and out!" Get this...
* Melted candle wax in the center console.
* Radio and CD Player didn't work due to a break in!
* Its pretty bad when you look inside a car and can tell the
owner had a dog and smoked a hundred packs a day.
* The drivers side door was falling apart, it looked like
someone fixed up the body and left the interior to rot.

Anyways, I got in it and drove it, and the auto trans slipped up just like mine did before it went out.
Its final guys, I'm getting an MTX when I get back from Christmas break! I'll wait a while if I have to get what I want and be happy! Thanks guys, you were right all along, and thanks for telling me about the MTX conversion, I didn't know that before... Lemme know if you find any Great cond. Silver MX-6 LS MXT's!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts