Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking forward to being a proud owner of a 93LS (tired of driving a decked out Honda) but I need to know if it sounds like a good deal or not. My good friend is the owner of the car in question. He has owned many nice cars including a series of 300zx TT and older RX7s but he absolutely loves his mazda. My major concern is the high number of miles it has on it. It is a black 93LS 5 speed w/ leather interior and it has 180,000+ miles on it. Now, these are almost all highway miles. He is the second owner (the first owner was an old man that commuted from seattle to portland) and my friend currently commutes ~100 miles round trip a day. To my knowledge the only mechanical problems it has is that the CEL comes on every once in a while (from reading the posts I believe it to be the O2 sensor). It needs a timing belt and a general tune up but it still runs strong enough to impress the hell out of me. The leather is somewhat sun burnt and torn (just in the front) and the exterior has mild swirls and such. Is $5800 a good deal or should I haggle w/ him. I plan to do many mods. I am already on the waiting list for Jpec headlights and am about to order supra tail lights. PRD STS, Ground control coilovers, Tokico Illuminas, Next comes body kit, rims and spoiler. I plan to save engine work until the engine goes and I can replace it with a Jspec. Also, if you do think it is a good buy, what other maintenance should I do right after I get it? Are there certain things to look for before I buy it? Thanks in advance!!! You guys are great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To put into comparision, I bought my 94 LS 2.5, with about 120K Miles on it, for @ 4600. The numbers may be off a bit (I paid 6700$ CDN... not sure the current exchange rate so Im guessing). Car was in mint shape, with no mechanical failures, clean interier, and an after market CD player. I think I got it as cheap as I did, because its hard to move high km vehicles.

So my call would be to haggle him down a bit. A 200K miles vehicle wont be that easy for him to sell.

Just my opinion of course, I really couldnt tell you without looking and driving the car.

Serapth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 3 months ago I bought a 93 LS (tan leather, spoiler, sunroof, etc.) with only 59K miles on it for $6100.00...that may put you're tentative purchase into perspective a bit:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
haggle a bit

Hey, I thing the dude wants too much bills for that kind of milleage, and you guys are right - the car (even such as mx-6) still looses its value close to 200,000 miles like any other vehicle. I'd talk to him some more and offe him something like $5000 cash right away, if he won't go for it, I won't buy it for $5,500. You'll find another one, just be patient, cause those sixes are rear.
As for me, I bought my 4 cyl. 5 speed mx-6 last summer with 108k miles on it and I paid $3200 total for the car, title, and lisence, so basically I paid about $2900 for the car pure.
Now I have about 121000 miles on it , but it still runs like it has 12000 miles, so don't worry that much about milleage - these cars are very reliable when being taken good care of.

Hey, good luck!

MAd Max Mx6})

·
Registered
293 Posts
to LandoLakes

Hey, where are you located at?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got my '93 Mx-6 Ls 5spd with 127k mi a little over a month ago for $4,000.

The car had pretty much every available option, 10 disc CD Changer (but it makes some wierd background noise), 16" rims with z rated tires, he also gave me the stock rims with snow tires on them. It has a couple little dents and scratches, needed the spark plugs and wires replaced, a tune up, 02 sensor and a couple more maitance work done (I had a mechanic do a full checkup).

I would definitly try getting the price down atleast a grand. The guy I bought the car off of was originally asking $5,400.

Go to http://www.kbb.com/ to find out the blue book value.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Proud to say i got my 93, 4 banger, 4 speed for $2,000 6 months ago froma friend of mine. Now that was a deal, car had 98k on it. Love it, best 2k i've ever spent in my entire life (albeit short but worthy). What he is asking is a bit more than what it should be. I see averages for mx6 ls at around 4500 with around 80k on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts