Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed 6" or 6.5" speakers in the front without modifying anything? If so, how do they sound?

·
Registered
321 Posts
you cant put a 6 or 6.5 in the front of our six with out modifing because the oem speaker is a 5x7 or something weird like that. I would recommend using a 5 1/4 it will requier less work and depending on the brand all you may need is a braket for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Go with the 5 1/4, unless you really want the 6 1'2's because if you want the bigger speaker you will have to do some cutting and possibly making a custom plate so they will aim correctly. I went with the 6.5's but had to get custom plates so they sounded good.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, thanks for the input. both of you suggest the 5 1/4's, and using a plate/bracket. is this something I can buy somewhere?

·
Registered
42 Posts
As far as I know, you can't buy the plate/bracket, you'll need to make it yourself, or get someone to do the job for you. It can be difficult though.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Metra Electronics makes an adapter plate that you can buy at stereo shops for putting 6 1/2" speakers in 5X7 openings. Or you can make an plate out of 1/4" medite,, it is actually very easy to do if you have a jigsaw and can trace out the pattern on to the wood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts