Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a long shot, but here goes:

Does anyone know a Canadian source (on the web or a store)where I can get a speaker adapter to change the 6 x 8 opening in the mx6 to a 6 x 9 opening?

I've found a few websites that sell the product, unfortunately they are all American and I would like to avoid the huge shipping costs and customs levy.

Thanks.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
hmm

what about future shop? or radio shack or osmehting like that?

Or one of them audio stores on kennedy?

lates :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pretty much checked all those places, even went down to kennedy rd this weekend, but came up short. Oh well, I guess I will order them from the internet.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I 've checked a lot of places for that too... Umm the guy at 401 auto sound told me that adapter isn''t even made,... so i went and bought pioneer 3ways 6x8's..

ahh well 6x9s would've been better

·
Registered
93 Posts
Any car audio shop that does installs should have a cataloge of fit kits for all kinds of cars. I bought mine while living in Vancouver, and he just happened to have em in stock, but we looked them up first.

·
Registered
763 Posts
would the difference from a 6x8 to 6x9 even be that significant? and does the 6x9 stick out of the deck at all or no?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sick6 said:
would the difference from a 6x8 to 6x9 even be that significant? and does the 6x9 stick out of the deck at all or no?
6 x 9s are substantially larger than the 6 x 8s. As a result, mounting holes are widely spread from the orginal 6 x 8 mounting holes. One may be able to drill new holes but this will be messy as the rear deck is not a flat surface.

·
Registered
93 Posts
6x9's hang from under the rear deck using the adapters. No messy work at all, and uses only existing mounting holes. There are far more 6x9's available then 6x8, and they are much more powerful.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
canadian-as-hell said:
6x9's hang from under the rear deck using the adapters. No messy work at all, and uses only existing mounting holes. There are far more 6x9's available then 6x8, and they are much more powerful.
Yes, I found that adapter. There made by a company called "metra". I was able to order them from a local home/car electronic store in my area. They should come in a weeks time. I can't wait to replace my pioneer 6 x 8's with some 6 x 9's.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mazdakid, but I already got the bracket and installed the 6 x 9s yesterday. It sounds so much better, especially the lows which is what I use my rear speakers for. I highly recomend this to all mx6ers who would like to use their rear speakers to play lows. If anyone would like the part number and company of the bracket, just let me know.

Cheers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The company is metra and the part # is 82-4200. You should be able to order from any small car audio shop in your area. Metra also makes a bracket to install 6.5s in the rear (good for highs). Shit, I had to do alot of research to find out all this info. But believe me the 6 x 9s are worth it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
763 Posts
is it the sound quality really THAT much difference with a 6x8 or 6x9?? its not like going from like a 4x7 or something small to a 6x9...

what kinda pioneers did you have in there before?

the 3-ways?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sick6 said:
is it the sound quality really THAT much difference with a 6x8 or 6x9?? its not like going from like a 4x7 or something small to a 6x9...

what kinda pioneers did you have in there before?

the 3-ways?
I had the pioneer TS 6865 (3 ways). With them the bass was sounding kinda perky, now the bass is more deep. I dunno, you'll go to future shop or something and listen to them both side by side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts