Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I didn't say I RACED it...but I did ride in it in '95. And one other confession before I post a couple pics of it...it's a near-perfect replica, which cost the guy $55,000 to build. He had a "true" replica 427 motor, pumping out just over 500HP (dyno'd) and all the torque any guy could ever want (about 550ft/lbs). He bought a kit for around $35,000 and then beefed it up and refined it from there. Oh, weight was about 2250lbs. The guy was a member of a Shelby Cobra club (most of them replicas, but I did actually see two REAL ones-- one on a trailer, the other nearly never driven..). Anyway, since I've seen a number of posts on the mighty Viper, just thought I'd throw this in for fun. For those of you who may not know, the Viper was inspired by the '62-'66 Shelby Cobra, which was produced for Ford. A brutal 289cid motor was offered (with around 350-450HP stock, depending on options) as well as the monster 427 which was rated at a lowly 450-500HP, depending on options. The 427 actually had 550-600HP stock. If you've ever read any old Road and Track mags, you've probably heard about the old 0-100-0 tests where they tested cars from a standstill to 100 and then braked hard down to 0. A typical stock 427 Shelby Cobra could accomplish this in just a hair over 13 seconds. The guy with the replica that I rode in (shown below) punched his car twice from about 15-70mph, and my entire upper body was completely thrusted backward and held-- I could not move!!! I've ridden in fast cars, but nothing at all like this monster. I still shake my head when I remember my neck being sore for two days-- and he only punched out twice. I also remember feeling glad that he raced on a track frequently, since we were all over the road until about 60mph. All this said, anyone who owns a car like this would have to feel this compelled to share the details-- and really know their vehicle. My girlfiend is a nurse and knows a guy (a doctor of course) with a Viper, and he felt he needed to take a performance driving course to really begin to know how to harness the power. Anyway, just wanted to throw up some pics of the thing. You may notice some other replicas from the Cobra club in the background. Hmmm... code is disabled in this part of the site, so guess I'll have to just post a couple links:
[url]http://www2.whidbey.net/tlk/pics/62CobraRep-Top.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www2.whidbey.net/tlk/pics/62CobraRep-ENGINE.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www2.whidbey.net/tlk/pics/62CobraRep-Side2.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www2.whidbey.net/tlk/pics/62CobraRep-Emblem.jpg[/url]

[Edited by tlk on 11-01-2000 at 12:55 AM]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I might also point out that....

The 1997 Viper was the first car to beat the 1966 Shelby Cobra. The Shelby Cobra was the only STOCK car that held the reign as the fastest production muscle car for 31 years!

It took 31 years, 488 Cubic inches with all the modern technology, and a six speed to just barely beat the Shelby Cobra!!! That my friends, is a lesson in history!

Race car drivers would purchase these Cobras stock, and race them, and were still the fastest cars on the track during that time frame.

I don't remember what the price was then, respectively, but I want to say it was about $3000 to $4000.

Maybe tlk knows more data.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I might also point out that....

jiffy6969 said:
The 1997 Viper was the first car to beat the 1966 Shelby Cobra. The Shelby Cobra was the only STOCK car that held the reign as the fastest production muscle car for 31 years!

It took 31 years, 488 Cubic inches with all the modern technology, and a six speed to just barely beat the Shelby Cobra!!! That my friends, is a lesson in history!

Race car drivers would purchase these Cobras stock, and race them, and were still the fastest cars on the track during that time frame.

I don't remember what the price was then, respectively, but I want to say it was about $3000 to $4000.

Maybe tlk knows more data.
Did the Viper actually BEAT the Shelby Cobra on the track, quarter mile, 0-60, or???? The only comparison test I've ever read was one from around '95 or so, from (I think) Road and Track, and they said the Viper from that year they tested still didn't compare to the Cobra. They had several test drivers do the 0-100-0 test in the Viper, and then the Cobra. The Viper accomplished it in around low 14s and the Cobra did it in its typical low 13s. None of the drivers could believe the power of this classic muscle roadster. Their comments basically stated that they just didn't think anything could match it, since the Viper couldn't. However, the Viper is being refined every year, as we all know. The only thing I know about the original price of a typical Cobra is that they must've actually been in the $8,000+ range, as Vettes from the 60s were typically around $5,000-$6,000 (correct me if I'm wrong). The only accurate dollar figure I know for sure is that an original Shelby Cobra now sells for $300,000 to $600,000 depending on condition and options. This is why they spend a great deal of time in storage. Well, guess that's enough on this subject...after all, this is an MX-6 site. I just felt the need to post some pics and info about this classic roadster though, and the posts regarding Vipers made me drool.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'll try to find the document..

I read that info on the internet about 1 year ago. And it was a 1997 Viper that beat it. BUT, I might point out, it only beat it by about .1 of a second on the 0-60 times, and something like that on the 0-100.

The article had also stated that it was almost a matter of driver vs driver.

Nothing wrong with posting about a true American classic muscle car!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I'll try to find the document..

jiffy6969 said:
I read that info on the internet about 1 year ago. And it was a 1997 Viper that beat it. BUT, I might point out, it only beat it by about .1 of a second on the 0-60 times, and something like that on the 0-100.

The article had also stated that it was almost a matter of driver vs driver.

Nothing wrong with posting about a true American classic muscle car!
Any car that can even come close to matching the Shelby AC Cobra in any aspect, is well... phenomenal. WOW.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A stock viper would NEVER beat an AC Cobra in the 1/4 mile.. Top speed sure.. but thats because the AC Cobra only has a 4-speed. The AC Cobra is my dream car and maybe by the time I'm 70 I'll own one.. hell you got to ride in one!! Can I have your autograph?? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Astro_Z said:
A stock viper would NEVER beat an AC Cobra in the 1/4 mile.. Top speed sure.. but thats because the AC Cobra only has a 4-speed. The AC Cobra is my dream car and maybe by the time I'm 70 I'll own one.. hell you got to ride in one!! Can I have your autograph?? :)

Well, it was "only" a replica... but one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. I did see a couple of real ones that day, from other members in the club, but they weren't being driven-- they were on trailers. The replica I rode in was as close to original as he could possibly build it, although it was fiberglass rather than aluminum like the originals. He said handling and performance were nearly identical to an original. Your comment about top speed is probably true too-- his would do 155mph consistently on the track, whereas Vipers are 160+ mph. Most of the Cobra replicas out there are a joke. A guy in my area has one and the front looks weird, and he put a 455 Olds engine it, with a supercharger sticking out of the hood. He's selling it for $45,000 with a new engine, because the first one blew after the first drive. He obviously had everything done wrong and is giving up on the project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts