Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys,

Radiator tank has been slowly deteriorating, getting hairline cracks, nothing major. Although after delay (not putty-ing it), and a good thrashing its finally spread open, so I'm up for a new tank.

Wondering if it's cheaper/easier to get a new radiator. Anyone upgraded? whats out there? Prices?
Looks like an alloy radiator to me, plastic tanks, what dimensions will fit?

Should mention this is in a GV 626 Wagon.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I put a new radiator in mine a few weeks ago it was about $350 from repco but i think PWR does a aluminium one for you first gen guys

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
cheapest is to have adrad fit new end tanks to it.

or do quick swap for recondtioned one most places should have one on shelf - also mention it's the same as a GD.
because they will send out a GE one if you give them the year.

Most places in sydney can't think of the name of any but one place in St-peters or Sydnahm I know has 90% of radiators on shelf in stock for quick swaps.

Best way to do it.

factory one is a alluminunm single core and it's fine for sotkc F2 or even FE DOHC.

the PWR one which I think only I and one other have is acutally NOt a fititng unit for the GV wagon or GD in N/A because your A/c condensor gets in the way. I'm in the middle of modding it all to fit right.

the PWR core is great etc but you coudl actually buy a alluminum core and get simpel end tanks made up for alot less.

but for overall cost of end tank conversion etc the plastic type can't beat it. the adrad end takns las t a hell of a long time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rodhog, have been having dramas with that all day.
Everyone reccomends ones out of mid 90s models, but I know its out of the older models.
The local Autoone bloke told me that my car doesn't exist, "They didn't make 626 wagons". :rolleyes:

rough quotes I got am looking at around $200 for service and new tanks. What are your opinions on ebay ones? There is a cheap one going for $84 + $25 postage, which is damn cheap. No problems fitting it myself. It says Auto radiator, now Im not aware of any differences between manual and auto radiators? Are there? All I can think of is possibly a tranny cooler in the radiator but thats not going to change anything for me.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Yeah, thats all it is, the auto oil cooler pipe in the bottom of the radiator, otherwise no difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
go to wreckers plenty around none turbo is single core & turbo is double core or new 1 is 350 ,if you use second hand 1 have it cleaned by radiator shop $70 coz they block up very easy go the twin core turbo 1 & use a high quality coolant never have a prob again

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Just remember early models will have the extra hole 3/4 BSP plug in the base for extra override thermo switch foudn on GD 1021 and equivlant Tx-5's
so best to find a Gd1022.

but IMO -with age of the car the alluminum stock radiator core is decent enough one and last heaps.

but not hard to find a cooper replacment type. Even a Tx-5 type.
Telstars some were fitted with a cooper core by Ford Australia as there spec.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ADRAD quoted me $150 to fit and supply new end tanks IF I pulled the radiator out and took it to them.
Just purchased a brand new Radiator from Stirling for $160, gotta go out to Smithfield tomorrow morning to pick it up. GD.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
well there you still quite reasonable prices around if you look hard enough.

I do mean reasonable. PWR alloy rad cooler ain't CHEAP LOL

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah was very surprised at the price, pulled it out Saturday morning, easy as piss, the fliud out of the old radiator was putrid, brown mostly. Old owner must have never changed it.
I think the one I bought has the plug in the bottom you were talking about Rodhod but I've just left it in.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
yeah well not all models used the fitting for temp sensor.

I know most aftermarket suppliers will usually leave it in the mould of the replacment and send it out pluged unless needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts