Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was the most successful DIY that i did so far.

i used a 1/2 inch MDF board.
this came with the speakers.

first drill the holes using the template.

so i glued it onto a mdf board.

cut it out with a jigsaw.

and trace the one you cut with a sharpie and cut 2 of em.

try fitting it.

make adjustments.

bolt it on.

then you are done!

edit:i did the whole mdf thing because the foam touched the metal if i did it without anything in between it.
i couldve used a hose or something but the sound would leak out and make it sound [shizzle]ty.
watch out for when you cut the circle in the middle.
make sure the rim of the mdf board is far away from the foam to prevent damage to the speakers.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Couldnt you have done it by bolting it to the metal under the rear dash instead of the trim itself?

Then you wouldnt see the bolts..

Can you still fit the speaker cover in there? It looks like you cut out part of the rear dash where the 5X7 stockers are?

Decent writeup nonetheless.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice write up forsure, too bad I just had 4 5x7's installed (doh).

Question though, how do you remove the rear speaker covers? mine rattle and are annoying me so I want to put some silicone or some sort of rubber between the rear deck and the speaker covers. If anyone can tell me how to remove then post it up thanks!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I did this with mine, sound much much better than before...... plus larger pseaker for more omph! Trying to remember how i got my speaker covers out???!!! i will have alook at them tomorrow and see if it jogs my memory.
Top write up and pics though!

·
Registered
666 Posts
ive screwed mine to the metal without the boards cause im too lazy. i got my 6x9 installed 2 years ago. anyway, great writeup..............top notch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
koisuruusagi said:
i just jammed a thin screw driver inbetween and opened it
I went ahead and did that last night, I thought everything was going well but when I got them off I relized I had cracked the plastic near the holes for the little clips. I think you have to go from the bottom and pinch the clips first or something? No idea yet here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts