Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was with my buddy on a four lane highway where i live sitting at a red light. well, i hear one of the most glorious showpieces ive ever heard coming from behind my car. i look back and their is a 72 camaro who wants to kill an import. well, at first i didnt want to because i try not to race those "impossible races", but my friend was like "dont bitch out like that " so i gave him a showpiece to tell him that i would play. we didnt kick right at first because of traffic but once traffic cleared he got beside me and we kicked at about 45 mph. at first it was incredibly even but when we got up to about 65 the good ole mx6 just pulled harder.
At the next red light we talked and shared what all was done to our cars. he said he had a 4 barrel, headers, full exhaust on a 350. then when i told him what i have(practically nothing) he was astonisted and wanted to go from a dead stop. when the light turned green on we went again through 1st and 2nd he had about a half a car on me then i my car started pulling lengths like a mad man and i passed him once again. i didnt talk to him again because i had to turn right at the next intersection. That was when i got hope for my car and realised it was fast

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about 350's, but I do know there are a few different variations. That must have been one of the lower powered ones, but good kill nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Was it a '71 or '72? That makes a big difference on stock engines.

The '71 got a (most powerful) 275 HP 350, while the '72 got 255 HP. However, both years came with a measly 165 HP 350

If it wasn't stock, then it's no telling what he really had in there. :shrug:

I have a "home built" 350 in my '72 than ran 14.03 @ 104 mph.

There's a guy in our car club who has a 350 in his '72 and ran a best of 15.18 @ 94 mph.

It's way to hard to tell with a car that old.

Never-the-less, I'm sure he's at home wrenching away right now. ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts
drvITlîkUstôlIT said:
I have a "home built" 350 in my '72 than ran 14.03 @ 104 mph.

There's a guy in our car club who has a 350 in his '72 and ran a best of 15.18 @ 94 mph.
[email protected] should be more like a 13.5-13.8 with that trap speed.

And the [email protected] should be in the mid to high 14's.

There muscle car's, so they should do their best in the 1/8 mile, and usually lose top end power.

My friend's 02 LS1 Tran's Am (6 speed) ran a [email protected], and everybody know's how much top end LS1's have.

Just my $.02:shrug:

Good kill:tup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry bout the typo it was a 72

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Juggalo said:
[email protected] should be more like a 13.5-13.8 with that trap speed.

And the [email protected] should be in the mid to high 14's.

There muscle car's, so they should do their best in the 1/8 mile, and usually lose top end power.

My friend's 02 LS1 Tran's Am (6 speed) ran a [email protected], and everybody know's how much top end LS1's have.

Just my $.02:shrug:

Good kill:tup:
Usually lose top end power? Where'd you hear that? :shrug: My car shifts at ~ 6000 RPM and I've had it to 120 mph on a 2 mile stretch. :D (2 miles from stop-go-stop)

It's this horrible thing called traction, or lack thereof. ;) If I nail it from a stop, it'll go all the way through 1st and part of 2nd gear before it'll grab traction.

If I try and ease into it, yet keep accelerating at a reasonable rate, the rear wheels spin for ~100'

Very bad for 60' times. Damn street tires!!!

BTW, I looked at my slips and I ran a 14.26 @ 103. I thought I was rounding up to 14.3, but hit a zero in the process.

·
Registered
848 Posts
drvITlîkUstôlIT said:
Usually lose top end power? Where'd you hear that? :shrug: My car shifts at ~ 6000 RPM and I've had it to 120 mph on a 2 mile stretch. :D (2 miles from stop-go-stop)

It's this horrible thing called traction, or lack thereof. ;) If I nail it from a stop, it'll go all the way through 1st and part of 2nd gear before it'll grab traction.

If I try and ease into it, yet keep accelerating at a reasonable rate, the rear wheels spin for ~100'

Very bad for 60' times. Damn street tires!!!

BTW, I looked at my slips and I ran a 14.26 @ 103. I thought I was rounding up to 14.3, but hit a zero in the process.
My FWD Tsi spin's through 2nd gear in stock trim with only 200 tourqe. A RWD V8 should be much better on bottom end, seeing as I can beat a lot of V8 (I'm not trying to start $hit with that comment btw) on top end, even though they can hand me my ass from a stop.

Sorry aggie but I DID beat an auto GT off a 40mph roll:D (and an LT1 auto)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Juggalo said:
A RWD V8 should be much better on bottom end....
Define "better". ;)

If traction wasn't a problem...

I can build (well... anyone can) a V8 that doesn't come onto it's cam until 3500 RPM. It just wouldn't be very streetable. It's all in the combo. Mine's half and half. It's OK for street, and OK for strip.
It starts to come onto the cam about 2500 RPM, and my torque converter stalls at 2200.

As soon as I hit the gas, I'm ~1500 RPM below peak TQ, but we're still talking +350 ft.lbs at that RPM. Once those tires start spinning, they don't stop because the peak TQ is ~ 4000 RPM. They're like the Energizer Bunny. They keep going and going..... :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts