Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. will a shallow depth 8" speaker fit the stock openings in a 2 gen MX6

Morel HCW 8 67mm depth

The reson why i ask are:
Im going to represent Morel in Norway
and when i need to replace the 626 i probably will buy a
2 gen MX6

ps what about giving us the possibillity to post picks in this forum too?:confused:

·
Registered
305 Posts
It depends on where you want to mount the 8" speakers. In the door, will be a tight fit and you will not beable to install these without some modication to the speaker housing in the door. It really depends on the thickness of the speaker since this measurement varies. Some people on this board have tried to fit 6.5s in the door, but I can't remember who...but it took a lot of work to fit them.

If you want to install them in the rear, that should be relatively easy. You just need to construct a custom bracket out of fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
whats the mounting depth on those 8" , the look pretty shallow, i was looking into the planet audio one that only 2" mounting depth.

anyway, if they are as shallow as they look, you should be able to put it off!!! , what i would do is, go to the junk yard and get another set of the 6 x 8 holders, or sacrifice your only set!!

then with a jigsaw/dremel start to open up the lip where its is 6" wide to make it 8" round, more than likely your not going to have a mountable surface at this point... i would then take a peice of fleece, floral foam, or even a T-shirt and wrap it around the baffle.... then start wetting it with fiberglass resin.. making sure you can shape as you go.... i would over shape it so that you can always trim off if you dont need the extra ....i would also use this time to to seal of the baffle or make it extend into other parts of the door so that the enclosure can be larger...

make sure you test fit the whole time, and make sure you can roll your window up and down, while your door panel still being able to fit!!!! ... Good Luck!!

-Scuba-

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8 inch in 6x8 inch hole

My intension was to use 8"`s in the doors as midbass.
The rearshelf i use to get rear fill only (4" or 5" coax not going below 80hz and time compensated)

The Morel HCW 8 are 67mm deep

In my 88 626 sedan i have used 8" Rockford Fosgate 1408
speakers as midbass playing from 56hz to 200hz where
a couple of 4" Macroom integra`s taking over.
but this setup its way too deep to use in a 2 gen
MX6 because of the Rockford 8" 95mm mouting deepth.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
you can get the 8"s in there, there was a guy w/ a 6 that has already done so!!! , he was the one that was selling the kick-panels and was featured in CA&E,

·
Registered
488 Posts
YES, the Morel 8" will fit in the door. I have had a pair of the double magnet ones in my doors for going 6 years now. You will need to cut away all the excess material of the door panel behind the grill to leave the surround clear from obstruction and you will have to completely remove the original mount. You can make your own out of wood, it only needs to be 1/2" thick to let the magnet clear the window assembly. Any thicker and you might end up hitting the door panel with the cone. If you can do it I would recomend making a fiberglass enclousure in the door for the speaker. It'll be tight and you might need to move to bottom of the window rail back a slight amount to do it but it will be worth it. I used to run those and a set of Image Dynamics compression horns in the front of my car when I still competed and they sounded great. Really good front mid-bass. I've still got the Morels in there and they are running down to 60 hz. with no problems.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
hey do u have any pics of the 8's in the doors ?
thanx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts