valve cover kit 37.00
timing belt 69.95
2 cam seal 22.15
1 crake seal (crate? trying to read the handwritting) 16.40
waterpump 86.40
pasver sta belt (posver? passover?) 17.65
AC water belt 26.40

total for parts is 276.76

total labor amount was 500 dollars so total was 797.67 (added 21.41 tax)

I estimated he did about 11-12 hours. I took the car in at 8:00 but he probably didn't start till 9:00 (I dont think he started until the afternoon as mechanics has other cars to work with.)
I got it back the next day in the morning at around 10.

I saw all the old parts in a cardboard box (some belts, little metal rings, waterpump, old gasket), and I looked at my engine, it was nice and clean and the belts were without a doubt replaced. where all the oil leaked was cleaned.

I think the labor part is a little shady, but since I'm not doing it, and I expected maybe 900-1000 maybe its still reasonable.

here's a pic under the hood after service (wish I had a before pic cause the engine was so damn dirty)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
For some reason that seems super high for an i4. When I had an i4 and had my t-belt and everything changed it was like 300-350. But then again that didn't include some of the things you listed. I donno seems a bit high.

metros

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
eh, seems about right. i think i paid around 600 for the timing belt and water pump to be replaced. now add all those other things you had done and it could come to about 800. still sucks though. next time do it yourself. with the things i know now and the confidence that comes along with knowledge i wont ever take my 6 to a mechanic unless its too cold out (i wont work on my car in the winter) or its time sensitive (car is a daily driver and i HAVE to get to school).

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
For a complete valve job on my nissan stanza was going to run about twelve hundred. And the list of repairs and maintenance was about the same.

Well I did it my self and only spent $146 on the valve job for the head(all 12 valves were bent) Everything else added up to about $100-+.

Now it runs better than ever, I saved about $1000, and now I have some extra experience under my belt.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted to do like half of that stuff myself, but it has been really cold lately, I didn't have time as its finals week, and I needed the problems fixed before I drive 300 miles back home after finals is done. I could of saved a lot of money if I just do things myself, but I guess 500 is the leisure of having someone else do it for me.

however I checked my liquids and he topped my oil and coolant. before I took it the oil was half gone (or half full). not sure on the coolant, but I think he just added water for that, as it seems to be more diluted and smells less 'sweet'.

also I checked prices in the bay area compared to where I am now. it would have been around 1000, so I'm kind of glad I got it for 800 in santa barbara. bay area is expensive! (was quoted 250 for tinted 3 rear windows, got it for 145 in santa barbara)

·
Registered
564 Posts
When these guys charge you labour their taking it right out of a book. If the books say charge 1.5 hours but the job only took him 45 minutes... their going to charge you for the 1.5 hours. You had a lot of things fixed on you car so this doesn't sound like a total burn.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
the timing belt would be about 4.0 hours and the water pump would add maybe 1.0 hours and the seals maybe another 1.0 hours. the belts would be no extra charge cause u have to remove them anyways. 6.0 hours total for a 4 cylinder is about what u would get working at a dealer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
megalomaniac32x said:
the timing belt would be about 4.0 hours and the water pump would add maybe 1.0 hours and the seals maybe another 1.0 hours. the belts would be no extra charge cause u have to remove them anyways. 6.0 hours total for a 4 cylinder is about what u would get working at a dealer.

6 hours?! I don't know, I've always been told the dealers charge much much more. 6 hours at dealer is like 100/hr which is 600, rather than a mechanics 12 hours 40/hr is 480. . . I'm talkin about prices not time. . . even if a dealer could do it in 6 hours, they probably won't get to yours until sometime later and you won't get your car back for a couple of days. And their prices on parts are more expensive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
doms6 said:
You should try working on your car in Canada during this time of the year.:D
\

I know how cold it is in canada. probably snowing right now. I have lived there for 3 years and visit relatives about ever 2-3 years. I couldn't imagine working in the snow, but imagine it very hard. If I ever was a mechanic (not that I'll ever be one) that had to work in the cold, I would invest for an indoor garage.:jump:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts