Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had another post that i wrote this in but i need an anwser quick. i have an 88 motor in my 92 lx. will a 91gt wiring harness and computer work on my 88 engine. what is different between the 88-89 and 90-92? if i cant use the 91 gt harness why wont it work? if it will work, will everything plug into the car right?

also if i get the 91gt harness then will i have to swap out the harness that runs along the driverside fender and the front of the car?

G

·
Many sensors are different on the 90+ Mx-6's. I don't understand why you can't you just use the ECU and wiring harness from the parts car you got the motor out of...Did you cut it when removing the motor?

The 91 Harness will not plug into the 88 ecu, as I stated before, the sensors (particularily the ones on the thermostat housing, but there are others) are different, the injectors have a different plug shape, so those won't fit.

You need both the engine harness, and the internal harness that plugs into the ecu to be from a 88-89 to get things to work.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are 2 connectors by the ecu. one is a 14 pin and a 10 pin i think. well the 88 gt harness is missing the 10 pin connector. also the gt harness has a 4 pin connector that the 92 lx doesnt have.

the 88gt harness that runs along the driverside fender and front of the car doesnt work with the 92lx fuse box.

can i just change out the sensors that do not match up?

if i use the 88 harness will i have swap out the dash harness too?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
90-92 should all have the same wiring harness. I would use as much of the 91 GT's harness as possible, and just grab all of the 91 GT engine sensors. change out any sensors on the 88 engine that are different from the 91's. The 91GT harness should be compatible with the lx fusebox.

Like I said before, you really need both an 88-89 and a 90-92 shop manual to get your questions answered. Without this it will be a guessing game as to what connection goes where.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i just drove an hour to this junkyard that said that they had a wiring harness. i get out there and its pouring down rain. no big deal ill get a little wet but its worth it for the harness. well i walked for and hour and a half and never find the car. im pissed. anyway i just thought i would vent.
thanks for your help
kelly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.