Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posting this here because I get this in the for sale forum: "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here."

This head was ported in 2005, ran it on my 88 MX6GT with big 16G turbo.

Latter ran it on my 89 MX6GT with a T3 Turbo.

Original pictures:

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Tire

Gas Auto part Audio equipment Machine Engineering

Audio equipment Gas Font Auto part Circle

Automotive lighting Automotive engine gasket Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Audio equipment

The head has been sitting in my basement since 2011.
The head was shaved at the machine shop in 2005, never bothered to measure the combustion chambers.
Last week I pulled it out and cleaned it up. I CC'd the combustion chambers they where 49CC's each because of the head shaving and carbon build up.
I ported them to 54.5CC each.

Wood Fixture Gas Auto part Screw

Light Automotive engine gasket Art Wood Rim

Cleaned the carbon from the exhaust ports using Super Clean degreaser and a toothbrush, pulled the exhaust valves and gave the valves a quick lapping to clean them and the valve seats.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Bumper

Then pressure washed and cleaned the rest of the head and the cam caps.

Table Chair Wood Cuisine Tableware

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive tire Rim

Gas Auto part Metal Wood Font

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Material property Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Audio equipment

Audio equipment Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Metal

The exhaust manifold stud holes are Heli coiled for factory M8 X 1.25 suds.
The head is true (flat).
The spark plugs where used to CC the head and to protect the threads during work and cleaning, they will be removed.
The Valve stem seals have about 16000 km on them, they are felpro, they are in like new shape.
Comes with hand cut intake manifold gasket to match intake ports.

Does not come with:
-Exhaust Studs.
-Cam.
-Rocker assembly.
-Rear or front housing.
-Intake/exhaust manifold, cam gear, cam seal...

Everything but the exhaust studs (never buy 34year old exhaust studs) can be added for a price but that just increases the cost of shipping.

I strongly recommend running valve spring shims like these:
Valve sping shims..
To keep the valves closed and from floating due to the increased port size at the valve seat.

I can sell and install 0.060" shims on the head for $40 extra

On a factory VJ-11 turbo the turbo's absolute limit is 15psi and should really be run at 14psi with this head, above 15psi it will outflow the exhaust turbines limit and kill the turbo.

Price is 250$ + shipping
290$ + shipping with 0.060" valve spring shims.

Reactions: brad46

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's when once upon a time I bothered polishing the exhaust ports and combustion chambers because that's what your supposed to do, according to the term "port and polish" it's the second part of the process and half the job.

But the reality is porting yields 100% of the gains and benefits and polishing yields 0%.

The finish with sand paper cartridges and sanding flap wheels is very smooth, from there many hours are spent using different grit cross buff kits, 1000grit sand paper and polishing wax and bobs.

I think the polishing is only done to impress the customer or because the guy doing the work thinks it's necessary but anyone who ports and polishes heads and runs them knows that carbon sticks to polished surfaces just as much as the very smooth sanded porting finish. Casting flaws and cast pitting build up the most carbon, Having a smooth surface allows the carbon to build in a thin, smooth, even layer. On many F2T heads the factory left some rough spots in the ports where they pressed in the valve seats, these would build carbon and continue growing down the valve port, when porting the exhaust valve ports some areas will have 3 or 4 times the carbon build up of the rest of the port all the way back to the flaw at the valve seat.

Or I mean it's "Purdy" ti'll it's bolted next to 2800* + F explosions and exhausts them.

Reactions: TwoPedalWarrior

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, let me install the shims, measure and weight the head, figure out a box and get back to you.
Oh and cut an intake manifold gasket.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is easier to cut the entire gasket from felpro print o seal than to resize a felpro intake gasket and the print o seal is far more durable.

I once thought the same thing, V8 guys, you don't want the intake flange the same size as the intake ports, you want it smaller, reversion is when air hits the closed valve and bounces back up the intake manifold, having a lip to hit at the intake manifold turns some back around, allows the air and gas to mix better through the turbulence. Up to 10 hp can be lost on 4cylinder engines when port matching the intake to head. Why do they port match V8's, because sometimes the performance intake has bigger ports than the head and that has the opposite effect and prevents air from entering the port. Why do some port the manifold to match the head? Habit ?
The same applies to the exhaust manifold in reverse the head ports should be smaller. When you a black exhaust ring on the exhaust ports on the head when you remove the manifold, that caused by exhaust reverting back to towards the valve that hit the edge of the manifold port instead.

That being said the exhaust ports are even or smaller than the manifold ports on the manifold, it is more conservative in that one spot than most of my work, at that time members complained about lazy valves so I didn't open the ports of the exhaust valves as much at the mouth, but the valve seat porting, bowls, valve stem grinding, spark plug relief removal, intake port size and combustion chamber work are the same as all the heads I've done. And that means factory and aftermarket gasket will fit without porting. Lazy valves applies to N/A tunes under pressure the flow dynamics change completely.

Please understand this head and everyone I have ported will kill factory turbos instantly above 15psi.
The turbine will try to spin faster than the compressor wheel can handle and snap the turbo shaft in two. You need good a good boost control set-up to run this head because slow spool high gear spikes with this head will kill the turbo (that's how much more the engine flows when the head is ported and the valve seats cut back).

The cam caps are scribbed with numbers 1-5 (2 in factory cast) before i remove them. If I take pictures of and remove the rear housing studs (that the Tstat sits in) are you okay to reinstall them? That makes the box like 3" shorter and keeps them from poking through and damaging the threads.

The head comes with my experience and instructions assembling F2T heads if you want or need them, most by the book some improvised and some learned the hard way.

After installation please review this head and views on it's performance and your views of the F2T's performance when the head is ported properly. No matter your revue it will confirm that the F2T's performance and power potential are "all in my head" .

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The intake gasket is cut and packaged.
The valve spring shims are installed.
The package size will be about
L: 17" X W: 8" X H: 6"
weight: 21-22 lbs

The cheapest rates I have found for shipping are:
Fedex 5day $79.11
Canada Post 5 business day $73.44
UPS 6day $53.22

UPS apparently has a drop of counter at a pharmacy near me, I will have to call and find out if they take 22lbs packages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts