Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 years ago I had to replace the motor in my 1990 MX-6 GT. On a long trip my turbo seized and warped the head. I decided to hunt around for a new motor. I was able to find a guy who imported used motors from Japan who had a 1988 2.2 turbo. Much to my surprise the new motor was actually faster than the original, much faster. When I drop the hammer now I really have to hold on to control the boost. Does anybody have some inside info about this. Did Mazda tone it down a bit in the 1990 model year. Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The cars are identical mechanically. 88-92 all the same. It is possible the that used motor that you bought was just in better shape and that it was taken care of better than your old one. I dont know if you were the original owner of your 90 but if not maybe the original owner did not take good care of it. Maybe he did not do the proper brake in when the car was new. There are a thousand factors that could make on GT faster or slower than the next. Even with the same driver. This is not unusual. Take a look at all the different times that different magazines have for cars even if they test the same modol car a few months later.

I guess just consider yourself lucky that you have the faster one now. Just think how you would feel if the second one was slow. That would suck.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I think the '92 may have been different....

I read somewhere that the '92 had 5 or 10 ft/lb more tourque as a last ditch improvement before the new MX-6 came out. Don't know for sure though or what the actual mechanical difference was.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Nope it's the same power ratings too. The only difference I know of is that the head castings are different from '89 to '90. But that's just because pre-'90's are known to crack and warp heads. There was no power change.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
the HLA's are larger also. I hear that there are some other smaller changes. When I purchased my new engine, I got all the new "good" stuff... :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Manifest said:
the HLA's are larger also. I hear that there are some other smaller changes. When I purchased my new engine, I got all the new "good" stuff... :)
That's interesting, I would imagine that bigger HLA's would slow down the drivetrain. I was doing some reading up on the KL V6 in the 2nd gen and Mazda intentionally used the smallest HLA's they could in order to let the engine move faster. Of course, we know the problems with small HLA's...they are more prone to getting dirty/clogged and then you get the HLA ticking

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Which is why they got rid of HLA's entirely in the lastest generation KL ('98-current 626)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a difference between '88 & '90

Mazda reduced the size of the turbo in the GD1022 (1990-) model compared with the larger sized turbo in the GD1022 (note: the 'hybrid' GD1021/GD1022 model that came with 4WS uses the smaller turbo engine as found in the GD1022, except it doesn't have the exterior cues to liken it to the GD1022 - ie. flat compared to 'ribbed' rear indicator cluster; flat front grille compared with earlier 'bullet shot' style grille etc.)

When driving both cars in good condition, you would expect the same performance, as Mazda tuned the GD1022 to have similar performance figures as the original MX-6 turbo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts