Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '88 mx-6 (2.2L, non-turbo, 5spd, DX, 150K miles)has a sick engine-- #2 cylinder won't fire, very low compression which leaks down immediately. Mechanic says probably rings, and recommends complete engine overhaul at $2300. This is stressing the amount of money I want to put in this car, although it's in pretty good shape otherwise. I've found a salvage engine with less than 80K that I can get installed for $1150, assuming I can nurse the car 200 miles to get it. I've never bought a used engine-- is this a stupid idea? Do salvage yards typically do a fair job of grading used engine condition? And should I be able to ask for some testing before buying? (compression tests, etc.?)
Thanks for any advice!
Kent Elliott
[email protected]

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I first got my LX in April, it tunred out it was basically a lemon. It was blowing oil past the rings and either would require a complete overhaul, or simpler, wiser option of finding a used engine to drop in it. Since selling the car was out of the question in my case, and I couldn't live with the fact that I looked like and F-14 Tomcat on afterburners when teh engine was cold, something had to be done. Thus I opted for a new, used engine. I had one of the local auto shops do it. By the time they were done, they had found me a used engine with roughly 30k on it, took approximately 2 weeks to do mine since a lot of parts had to be ordered and cost me $2900 with a 1 year warranty on everything they did. $400 more than I payed for the car when I bought it. They also put in a new clutch and some stuff like that since it is easier to do it when teh engine is pulled than when it is in place. Now I haven't really answered your questions, but I thought maybe this would help you in your decision.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Likely an engine with less than 80k on it should be in good shape. What you should do is perform a leakdown test on it before purchasing it if possible. If that checks out, go for it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you do get a new engine, I recomend getting the 88-92 626 GTI engine from europe. It has 170hp, its a 2.0 DOHC 16 valve engine. Im either going to buy one of those or just buy a GT all together.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
MX-Nick said:
If you do get a new engine, I recomend getting the 88-92 626 GTI engine from europe. It has 170hp, its a 2.0 DOHC 16 valve engine.
Yeah... good luck! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts