Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
purchased mx6 gt in march of 2001. It was love at first drive. My only problem has been locating performance mods for my baby. I am about to swap engines. I have another turbo engine out of an 89 gt with 90k miles on it. The mods I am looking for are intake manifolds,air intake systems,blow-off valves,wastegates,boost controllers,exhaust systems,etc. It's been a nightmare. Any help with my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
exhaust

i've got a custom bent 2.5 exhaust pipe from cat back without muffler for 100. I've also got a drop in K&N filter for 30.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm looking into a dawes device as far as a manual boost control. Only $35 and people I know swear by it.

I would stay away from blow off valves. They sound cool and all but these cars use a bypass valve and they run best when that "extra" air is returned that a blow off valve would in fact blow off. Not to mention, the bypass helps keep the turbo spinning freely. Blow off would create backpressure.

I've seen air intakes from reactive. Otherwise a K&N is a pretty good deal since intake is from inside the fender anyway. I have one and noticed increased performance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
no problem

never a problem,dont be discouraged check with race redi @ 210-381rick or raceredi.cc

we have been thru many a combonations to find the best.
12.8 on pump gas and mid level upgrades stock motor 160000 miles.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've read (propaganda, possibly) that stock BOVs generally do not handle higher than stock boost levels very well. So lets say you're doing 12psi. You'll get approx 2psi of pressure 'for' compressor surge. That's how I understand it. I'd rather be safer than sorry.

Any differing opinions? I'd like to know.

However, HKS for example, offer recirulation kits for their BOVs. Well, at least for DSMs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
2Rusty

Our cars have blow off valves, not bypass valves. The only difference is that in our cars the air released is sent back to the intake of the turbo while others just blow off to the atmosphere while sounding really nice!! A bypass valve is used instead of a waste gate, where it regulates the boost you run by opening up and letting the exhaust out(before the turbo) so it dosent spool up more than the desired boost!
So hurddawg, buy a blow off valve, so you can have one more reliable a also a better sound! Also consider getting a chip so you can run past 12psi!

R

·
0 Posts
i have an 89 mx6gt with lots of mods, never have seen a good air intake for it becuase of where the mass air flow sensor is . hks makes lots of turbo stuff intercooler pipe kit , exhuast, vbc(boost controller), i use a kn drop in filter and re-routed my air to enter through the front bumper into a 2and half inch pipe which takes it to the air box if you have more questoins just ask i have found diffrent stuff for this car all over in weird places

·
Registered
126 Posts
I began to remove my fender to run a 2 1/2 inch tube from my air box to under the bumper (on my 626 GT, I did the same thing on my MX6 N/A) but I ran into a bunch of welds connecting the fender to other parts of the car. Plus I cant remove my bumper w/o removing headlight assemblies. I would have remove the headlights and then removed the bumper but I didn't have time and I also dont have a way to break the welds on the fender. Any suggestions?

R

·
0 Posts
When I ran the 2 1/2 innch pipe through the fender I barely had enough room. the was a bottom cross bar that held the fender over, i bent and broke it off the fender is held stedy by the pipe, then just ran the pipe through the existing opening in the bottom drivers side of the bumper.

I am not sure of any differences between the 626 and mx6 fenders if any. My best suggestion is to try to work away so you don't have to break any welds but if you do make sure you can re brace the fender some how.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts