Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay as you guys can tell I'm having some problems with my sisters 89 Jeep. It has a 4.0 I6 and is carb'd. A week ago we got really cold up here in Nebraska. In the night it dipped below -10 degrees F, a couple of nights in a row. The morning after the first really cold night, my sis went out and after her usual couple of tries it started right up and a couple minutes later she drove away (she doesnt understand you have to let a car warm up when its cold...) After school she returned home and stated it was harder to start than usual after school, but she DID get it started and drove it home.

The next day, Saturday, she went out early and couldnt get it to start. After work I tried to start it, and with a couple of pumps of gas and a couple of seconds of cranking, it started up and died. I tried again and kept it right above 1100 rpm for about a minute, and after I let off the throttle it kept steady at 700rpm.

The next day she couldn't get it started, again. I went out, thinking it was just her, but I COULDNT GET IT EITHER. I tried so long that I ended up killing the battery. So I put it on a charger and figured that it was flooded. The next day I added about 9/10 of a bottle of Heet to the gas tank and a couple drops (really, it was only like 3 rain drops...)in the carb. I tried to start again and AGAIN ended up killing the battery. Frusturated, I put the battery on a charger and again considered it flooded.

The next day, tried again and ended up melting the positive battery cable connector. Went to Advance Auto Parts and got another battery lead and some starting fluid. When I got home the battery had been charged. I tried again and squirted a bit of starting fluid into the carb. NOTHING. Just cranked until the battery died.

SOOOO I had my friend help me tow it to my garage where I could work on it in the comfort of a warm place, and it would also help heat up the block of the engine - just to make sure it would start.

Wouldnt you know it though, it STILL WOULDNT START.

I am at my wits end here. I took off the carb and cleaned it out and made sure that the engine wasnt flooded. I checked for spark, and it is getting spark. I even made sure that the fuel system was pumping fuel - which it was, all the way up to the carb. It has an electric choke, and it is opperating correctly. The timing has not been moved from one day to the next, nothing at all was changed from one day that it ran to the next day it didnt. I checked all the fuses and relays and all test good. The oil is good (not like it would keep it from starting anyways) and the Antifreeze is actually liquid and not ice or slush (happened on one of my cars - froze up the entire system and wouldnt start). So basically its getting everything it should need - Air, Fuel, Spark. In all rights there is NO REASON that it shouldn't run.... HOWEVER, It just will not run. What could be done that would make this happen? Even with the starting fluid it didnt even hiccough.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
alright 1st off by it will not start does it turn over but not crank or does it just sit there?

if it just sits there id recommend the starter solenoid 1st followed by the starter (both of which can be tested by advanced auto free)

if it turns over but will not crank id seriously do a compression check idk maybe driving it that cold put a crack in one of the cylider walls...

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I say ditch the carb and get the fuel injected motor :)

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
any luck?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no luck, and sadly i dont have a compression tester to test it. However i did test again that it was making a good connection on both battery poles, tested the battery and made sure it was good, made sure it was getting gas, which it was, and double checked that it was getting spark - and believe me it was...

what it does is just sits and cranks - meaning the starter engages with the flywheel and cranks the engine over.

Meaning if you have an engine, you need 4 basic things - air, fuel, spark, and compression.

Its obviously getting spark - i felt it and it didnt feel great lol.

Its obviously getting air - were not on mars and it IS carb'd...

I'm pretty sure it should be getting enough gas to at least make the engine run, even if its like total poop.

However i still need to do a compression test.

When I do crank it over, at some points I can get it to sort of "take off" for a split second, where it feels like its gona start, but doesnt quite get there. I will do a compression test to make sure that it is getting compression. however, on my way to pick up the tool, im going to get 6 new spark plugs and throw them in there. That way i can rule out fouled up plugs because of excessive flooding.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
check the timing?

Cover the carb with your hands when it's cranked over :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope, but it was never moved - its been bolted down tight...but the same friend that has the compression tester also has a timing light so im going to get it dead on...

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
No, it's an old school trick with carb engines that don't start. Take off the air cleaner and snorkel and cover the venturi's with your hands while it's being cranked.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got it going. i just replaced the plugs and it fired right up. however im going to adjust the timing and carb specs a bit because it idles really weird. im also going to check and make sure the choke is hooked up correctly...

but thanks guys for the tips....i got 'er going:tup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts