Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or does my 89 mazda GT frickin hook up for a front wheel drive car with around 260HP or so... when under boost it really pulls without wheel spin... Now i figure with all the mods i've done I should have a severe traction problem but it DONT!!.. My 2001 Jetta 1.8t only has a sorry 200HP if that with chip and exhaust, and it has severe traction problems and doesn't hook up worth a damn!!... how is it that this car seems to defy the laws of a front wheel drive car and hook up so good..Does it have some special limited slip system or something,, Does anybody have any thoughts on this transmission system? or similar views ,, or problems with traction, or traction problems with higher than 15psi boost,,... God even in the rain it does great on boost...

P.s. I also don't know what works so well in this 2.2L engine with only 12 valves but something is working in there pretty darn well...cuz it hasn't blown sky high yet in like 2 years of hard beating...And another thing the clutch is real big for a 4 banger, it's as big as a mustang GT clutch and dwarfs the poor eclipse AWD clutch in diameter, Does anyone know why they did this?, I mean it obviously doesn't slip under extreme boost but i was wondering if they designed the car with this mod in mind...oh well the questions i will have..

89 mazda mx6 GT, EGRbypass, intake, downpipe, 3" turbo back exhaust, no CAT, HKS upper intercooler pipe kit, GFORCE Agressive 101octane race gas chip, greddy profic B boost controller, running 15-16psi on STOCK turbo, soon to upgrade..

[Edited by brads on 01-09-2001 at 01:52 AM]

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
built Mazda tough

Yeah the car is tough. Mine has over 183,000 miles and still runs perfectly - it still pulls really hard and with almost NO turbo lag.
I think they designed the things with rallying in mind or something, because as several people have said, you have to put a bullet in the head to stop them.
As for your traction, well some people complain about the traction. I, for instance can't give it more then half throttle in 1st or a tire just spins crazily. A guy on Probetalk.com named RAWpower had the idea that some of the cars were accidentally let out of the factories with experimental Limited Slip Diffs because his car apparently will leave 2 lines on the street when he spins the tires. I'm not sure if this is true or not but you may be one of the lucky ones....

·
Registered
270 Posts
My car leaves two skid marks, but it doesn't hook up at all, not even in second. I think tires have a lot to do with it. BTW I was running 15psi on the stock turbo and dynoed 170 hp and 275 ft lbs of torque to the wheels! Also, thats with 167K on the car, and over two years of running 15psi, and my lead foot:D

·
Banned
395 Posts
thats kinda wierd cause mine is an LX and it hooks like it has a limited slip 2 perfectly equal marks. The funny part is mine can rip loose in 3rd

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ya its pretty funny to think that our misjudged LXs can pull pretty well for what it has. Once in a while I can get a good scratch in 3rd as well as in 2nd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very easy..... lift the front of your car up in the air, select 1st gear, and atempt to spin one wheel in either direction.
A LSD will not allow you to turn that wheel at all, or possibly with a lot of effort (depends on the type of LSD). An open diff will let you spin that wheel, as the other wheel spins the opposite way.

-Thomas

·
Registered
50 Posts
wayman...

on reply to the subject, if the driver is decent then the car will hook up, i can almost guaruntee that the bottom end torque will dance on the competition's umm.... "pride" if you learn to hook in 1st gear. i tried from a rolling start then punched it, heh, needless to say the torque steer gave me **** but that mofo took oFF!! that is another reason why i am posting...wayman, how is it that u are able to run 15 psi when mine cuts off at 14....PLEASE i need to know, the walbro 255 helped out ALOT!!!! as far as controlling boost, but for some reason after 14psi the car just shuts down.... like there is that sound when you leave the headlights on after turning off the car n it beeps for a sec n comes back to life....?? i DON'T get it!! this is seriously pissing me off! oh yeah, any one know what that beeping is when u hit 14 psi...to others out there with that same prob... :confused:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
he probly modded the cars ECU...

call jay b at psi racing, and he will reprogram the cars controller computer for a better fuel curve under boost, and he will also eliminate the boost cut.

check out the for sale forum, under buyer ratings and listings, jay b's information is posted there by me.

-meaty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts