Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!! I have a very important question to ask (well I think it's important anyway). My roommate has a 96' Eclipse GS mainly stock (he just has a cold air intake and racing wires). I have my 89' MX-6 GT that I bought for $300 from my boss who was to lazy to check what was really wrong with his engine (he thought the engine block was cracked, turns out, three of the bolts on the left side of the header were broken off. I guess somebody forgot to use anti-seize when they were trying to take of the bolts).To make a long story short, I have to buy a new cylinder head. Being I have the whole engine torn apart, I'm having PAECO grind me a performance cam. I'm also thinking of buying all new valves and rockers (do you think I should, I mean the old ones look good they just need to be cleaned). Back to the question, after I'm done with putting my engine back together, do you think I can beat my roommate's car. He says I probably would but I don't have any idea. Thanx for reading my thread.

·
Registered
416 Posts
an eclipse GS?? hey man, even stock for stock your car will smoke him, never mind the mods you're gonna have. don't even worry about it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't see hoy you couldnt... if you didn't take him hard.. something would be wrong

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yeah, GS-Ts and GS-Xs are the ones to get nervous about.

You'll take a GS easy.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm not even worried about the eclipse, I have a friend with one and I smoked him so bad it wasn't even funny. Sad thing is he was starting to believe it was a little quick. Ahh well, what I'M worried about is, you have 3 broken bolts and you need a new HEAD? Screw that, drill those out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I would but I want to get a new cylinder head anyway. It's only 360 dollars for it. And as for the header, two of the bolts that bolt onto the turbo had to be cut of because the nuts stripped the bolts away.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, they're studs, I've replaced all of mine for a total cost of about $40, which includes $30 for a stud removing tool, and an EZ out for the ones that had to be drilled. If you wanna spend the money, more power to you, I was just saying it would be cheaper otherwise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are you talking about the studs on the cylinder head or the studs on the header??? Anyway, the reason I want to get a new cylinder head is because one of the spark plug holes is totally stripped out. I tryed tapping out the hole putting in some replacement treading but I'd rather get a whole new cylinder head.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the GS-T is FWD turbocharged and the GS-X is AWD turbocharged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts