Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought an 89 mx-6 turbo 4ws and I have a question about the turbocharger. After I took my car out for a ride on the highway to test out the Hp, I came home and looked under the hood. I realized the turbocharger , or what I believe to have been the turbocharger was glowing red. I'm just wondering if this is something that occurs on turbo's. I also heard sizzling which must have been the oil burning inside the turbocharger. I know that you are supposed to let the turbo cool down when it it that hot, but I just wanted to know if it should be that hott!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I

I guess so , I was also wondering how bad it was to turn the car off while it is this hot, because I made the mistake once and wanted to know if its somethign to worry about.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
It's always good to the let the car idle for about 30-60 seconds after driving it to cycle the hot oil out of the turbo. as for the glowing red exhaust side, are you sure it's not orange? but a glowing exhaust side is normal when putting a little stress on the peashooter. That sizzling you hear could be coolant leaking onto your manifold. you might want to check your coolant lines going to and from the turbo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts