Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***Warning*** This is one of the most visually stunning mods you can do to the inside of the MX6***

I have an 89 MX-6 GT with all the motor mods.., I decided to have some fun with the Dash Cluster, Like the 4wheel steering Option that was available those years they also had some cars equipped with a digital Dashboard, instead of the plain jane Analog Dash in all today's cars.. this is a completely electronic display with MPH in blue digits and gas and temp in digital bar graphs...
I called mazda to find out how much the Digital cluster is and they said $1400 dollars, after violently hanging up on the fool, who thought i was going to place an order( not knowing i only spent $1250 for the whole car!!!... I proceded down to a specialty mazda junk yard here in Burbank CA...I rumaged through all the mazda dash clusters in a pile ,, and found a pretty nice condition Digital one, I payed the guy the $25 bargain bucks and went home.. I then removed the little plastic shield that covers the screws to the Analog stocker cluster, You have to pop out a little vent cap on the far right .. there is a hidden screw there then the whole thing just pops off.. I pulled the Analog stocker out and compared the two,, they were identical plugs Yeah!!.. 5 more minutes and i had a complete awesome digital dash cluster!!,, it is a very cool mod and if you don't have it you GOTTA throw down the $25 bucks and upgrade it!!

If anybody would like to do this AWESOME MOD I'm sure this guy has tons more of these Electronic Clusters there..Just lemme know and i will dig one up for ya!!
email: [email protected]

89 mazda mx6 GT, EGRbypass, intake, downpipe, 3" turbo back exhaust, no CAT, HKS upper intercooler pipe kit, GFORCE Aggressive 101octane race gas chip, greddy profic B boost controller, running 15-16psi on STOCK turbo, soon to upgrade..

[Edited by brads on 01-09-2001 at 01:35 AM]

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Yeah lets see some pics! I'm curious about the speedometer cable though. Does the mechanical speedo cable just plug righ in? I was always under the impression that the digital cluster would use an electronic VSS located on the tranny. Well, that's what 1stgen probes with digital clusters have.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Where in Burbank is this? I live in Arcadia only a 30 min drive away from there. I'm really looking forward to seeing some pics too.

Jason
89 LX

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine came with a digital cluster, it is pretty cool!! But mine has green numbers with a digital tach as well and digital trip meter. It can also be changed from mph to kmh for us Canuck's....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah .. the numbers are in green i guess,, I heard someone say they had problems, but in 4 years i've had two cars and the clusters never have gone out ,,,,and my suspension in my last car was pretty crappy, and it was harsh.. so the clusters must be mil spec fighter plane quality displays or something..
I will take some pics tonight and put them up tommorow for ya' I would be interested in hearing from someone who actually bought they're car at the dealer in 88-91,, as to wheather or no they were an option or just came on some cars and not on others.. etc etc....also does anybody know where i can GET one of those BOSS MX-6 LE Leather Steering Wheels... I can't believe they didn't include this option on the GT... damn... i'm gonna get one.. but someone said the DEALER wants $600 bones ...yeah sure... like the $1400 for the Dash Clusterss.. yeah right...

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
That's true. They changed the analog guage clusters in '90. The only real differences are the cruise control light in the cluster and the check engine light is in the RPM guage. i guess they figured it wasnt worth it to redesign the digital one too, which didnt sell very much so they axed it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ya, mine is same as well. I noticed on the sixth picture that your flywheel is exposed, mine's like that too. but i somehow don't think thats right. any ideas why that is like that?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Dude, that cluster looks awesome! I dont know why, it's such an 80's thing but I seriously want one! I also like the fact that the odometer is analogue so I can change the mileage to match what I have now. So what other functions does it have? I noticed it has a "scale change" button. What dat for?

Oh and another question. How quickly does the display update? Like if you were to rev the engine really quickly, how long would it take for the rpm guage to respond? Same question about the speedometer.

[Edited by anarchyx34 on 04-26-2001 at 07:22 PM]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's funny you say so 80's,, , Well they put all the cool stuff on cars in the 80's and early 90's .. and then they stopped because these gadgets weren't popular here like they are in japan i bet...

Well the digital dash cluster has two trip odometers, which is very cool... IT also has a scale change button so you can see exactly how much fuel you have after the gas gauge hits hits one bar and starts blinking..

The odometer is analog...

And the tach is as fast an analog tach... it has no delay.. as fast as you rev it's already there...

Someone else also asked about the speedo cable hookup.. The digital is exactly the same as the analog on the back as far as hooking it up.. same speedo cable that runs into the transmission.. and same electronic hookups ...

I have done many now and have never had a problem electrically or visually ... no failures.. and if it does fail.. oh well back to the junkyard with another $40 bones..

enjoy..

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Doh! I just realized that it probably wont work on my car. They changed the analog cluster in '90. There's a cruise-main indicator in the cluster and the check engine light is in the rpm guage. I bet that probably changed the wiring a bit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts