Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
so how many miles does it go up to?? as far as the analoge dash cluster?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
.:Liquid Reality:. said:
So, anarchy, will this work for a '91 MX-6, or do you think the wiring is too different
Yeah the wiring on the 90 and above might be slightly different. the only real difference between the '88-'89 clusters and the '90+ cluster is that the 90+ has the check engine light in the rpm guage, whereas the earlier ones have it in the bottom of the cluster with the rest of the warning lights. Also, the 90+ has the "cruise main" light, where the 88-89 has the light on the actual switch. The different wiring may be in the cluster itself, so that it might work, and maybe it would light up one of the "blanks" where the cruise light should be. I would have to try one. I'm really interested though.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Another thing I'm wondering... Does anyone have the problem where thier speedo needle is a bit shaky at low speeds? Mine does that and it's caused by a crappy speedometer cable. I wonder how the digital cluster would react to that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
your speedo cable may not be as bad as you think. try greasing your cable and see if that works.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm about to buy one (digital) from a junkyard off an 89 626 GT, I have an 89 MX-6 GT (analog)- just to confirm the digital dash will wire up directly, correct?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well, when you are all done with your analogs I need to get the lower portion of the display. This is the indicator pannel under the main guages. Not sure if this is seperate from the main unit or not. For some reason my new 92 MX6 GT has the correct Analog guages, since the check engine light is built into the tach, but all the other templates under are wrong. At least the ones for the seat belt and the cruise control. Anyone have one of these that they are not using any more? This would be from a 90-92 MX6 or 626 Manual.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm going to get a digital dash out of a 89' 626 but the lady is not quite sure if the 626 is a GT model or not. Would it still work on my GT. I don't want to spend fifty dollars and then find out it won't work. Any help would be greatfull.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tell her to look under the hood and see if it says "turbo" in big red letters on the intake manifold - then she will know if it is a GT or not

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just called a Mazda dealer for one, and the guy said that he'd have to order one. It'd cost $1,080.02!!!! Gotta find one out of a broken car or something

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
DIG DASH

THANX CAUSE THERE ARE AWHOLE LOT OF FORIGN CAR SALVAGE YARDS AROUND HERE . i CALLED AND FOUND OUT THAT IT DOES WORK WITH THE 90+ MODELS AND WHEN I NEXT TALK TO YOU I WILL HAVE ONE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Digital Dash

In 1987 I bought an 85 626LX Touring Sedan with the digital dash. It was one of the best cars I ever had. It was years ahead of the Accord and all the others. Ford did a great job helping Mazda become just another car company. Back to my car. It had 43k when I got it and 122k when I sold it 4 1/2 yrs later, and having a company vehicle they were all "fun" miles. 2.0L with a carb (no FI), and 5 spd the car was a blast to drive, although at 88 hp a bit anemic at times. The suspenion was electronically adjusted by a switch on the lower left side of the dash. either "Normal" or "Firm". I never babied this car, but my maint. was fanatical. Oil/filter every 3k, trans fluid changed every year, valve adjutments every year, washed the car every week and apllied Nu-Finish every 3 mths, etc. The stainless steel exhaust lasted until 93k. The only problems I had was $100 to repair the stereo (it had an 11 (I think) band EQ), vacuum advance @ $75, and a automatic choke switch, also $75. all done by a Mazda dealer in Wisconsin Rapids, WI. The digital dash was simply AWESOME MAN! There was also a switch on the dash to change the readout to METRIC! For the center air vents there was a switch to make them oscillate side to side. The PW switches were on the center console, and to this day I still would prefer that location. With the 5 door hatch design the rear seat bottoms folded forward behind the front seats, the rear seat back came down flat forward, and gave a huge amount of cargo room And I averaged around 29-30 mpg on the highway. I once asked a Mazda mechanic the cost to repair the digital dash and he said he had no idea because he had never heard of one breaking. Boy, would I love to get my hands on one of these today.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts