Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

'89 wastegate control

975 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Wayman 
G
#1 ·
Does anyone know where the hose coming off of the bottom side of the wastegate control valve is suppose to connect? I just replaced my engine in my '89 MX-6 and one of the hoses coming off of the wastegate control valve had been wedged in between the dust cover and flywheel housing. I suppose a mechanic had done this while replacing my clutch as well as leaving out two bolts connecting the engine to transmission. Seems like if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. The hose has a hose clamp and looks like it should attach somewhere. The Haynes manual shows the hose and calls it an "air hose" but doesn't show where it connects. There are three hoses coming off of this valve. One goes over to the actuator, another looked like it went around the left side of the engine, probably supplying vacuum and the mystery one points off to the left side of the car. The engine runs fine with it not connected. I thought it would connect to the air intake but once I got it back together there was no obvious place to connect it.

#2 ·
I just put in a new turbo, and I believe the hose you are talking about goes to the intake pipe. The one that runs from the MAF to the turbo inlet. There is a long nipple on the bottom of the intake pipe right up close to the turbo, see if there is anything attached there and let us know. Hope that was the line you were describing:)

G
#3 ·
I suspected that is where it should go. I just replaced the engine and barely had time to get it running. I don't have the car at home but will look and let you know. Thanks for the help. I seen your post about replacing your turbo. The car is no longer my daily driver so I was thinking about some performance mods. First I believe higher boost is in order. I now have two turbos and was thinking about rebuilding my old turbo that has 180K miles on it and keeping the other (80K miles) on it as a spare. Are you running a stock turbo? What mods have you done?

#4 ·
I was running 15psi on my stock turbo and it dynoed 170 hp and 275 ft lbs to the wheels. Now, I have what is called the J-spec turbo (don't know why) it is basically the stock exhaust side, clipped 30 degrees, a compressor housing from the T-bird turbo coupe, and a VJ-23 compressor wheel. The stock one is the VJ-11. Stock pushed 190CFM, while the J-spec is around 320CFM. I have it at 12psi and it feels as strong as the stock one, but without fuel upgrades I don't want to turn it up and risk running lean. I have a fuel pressure regulator on order, then I'm going back to the dyno tp tune it and have some results for everybody. This turbo is strongest at around 4600RPMs without the usual dropoff we get before that with the stock turbo.
Oh yeah, my mods: K&N drop in filter w/ CAI, MSD ignition w/blaster 2 coil, Superchip, HKS cat-back exhaust, 167k on the odo, ann the J-spec turbo.

[Edited by Wayman on 01-08-2001 at 03:46 AM]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.