Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that these speakers are interchangeable, so I am looking for one or two of these to purchase. I would prefer the Pioneer ones, but any from these years will do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Are you sure you want stock speakers? You could get some nice aftermarket speakers for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am only looking to spend 10 or so on one or two speakers that I can just plug right in. No reason for aftermarket in this case. This 92 is being used as a winter car.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, you are right. $20 Pioneer speakers from Best Buy and they are still better than what was in there before. A $5 Metra Kit (Part # DW7901SH) and 5 min later both rear speakers are installed. These things were a direct fit and no problems at all. For $25 they sound great.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
When you mean "pioneer speakers" (not referring to the ones you just bought), do you mean factory pioneer speakers? THat's wierd, I never knew our cars came factory with those. Then again, when we pulled the rear speakers from my friend's '89 mx-6, they were much nicer looking than your average stock speaker, 2 way coaxial and everthing. The rear speakers on my 626 were nasty and crappy looking.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you get the METRA speaker connector kit you don't even have to worry about polarity since they connectors are keyed and so are all the newer speakers. The plugs will only fit one way on the speaker end and when it is re-attached to the car.

As for the "Pioneer" Speakers, both the head unit and the speakers themselves on this 92 MX6 have "Pioneer" stanped on them. I am sure that they came this way from the factory. This unit is the CD cassette unit.

The original stock "Pioneer" speaker that I pulled out was foam ringed and this is what was messed up. In the junkyards I found a few other 90-91's (never another 92) and they were foam ringed but never said pioneer. They did look like the same speaker though. All were messed up like the ones I had on the 92. On the other hand, I found a lot of 88-89's and they all looked 2 way and all were in great shape. The down side was that they would not fit properly into the 92 because the speaker cover would not fit over them properly.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Interesting... I still dont even know what a completely factory sound system sounds like.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
factory stereo

I'm confused as to why you would want the factory speakers and stereo?! When I got my car 3 out of 4 of my speakers were blown and sounded like total crap, so I replaced them within a few days.

A note about the front speakers : if you're replacing these, make sure you get some ones with relatively small magnets and a shallow mounting depth.... there isn't much room in that dash!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts