Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been idling high for the past few days, around 1250rpm. But sometimes it is down to the normal 750 idle. This only started happening after I changed three things on my engine: PCV valve (which somewhat cracked in the middle when i put it in cause it's cheap), the distributor rotor, and the spark plugs (NGK V-Power, same as before). I'm not sure if those changes come into play at all. I'm also running a pair of subs and amplifier, so I don't know if the alternator is dying and telling the CPU to give the engine more gas to keep the RPMs up. If anyone can make sense of this please help. Thanks.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Check the ignition base timing (with a timing light and the diagnostic connector grounded) and also make sure your throttle cable's not sticking (this happened to me before I lubed it).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you do to lube it and what did you use?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I just sprayed some WD-40 in it by the throttle.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K, I'll try easy-way-out #1 tomorrow. Thanks man.

Ryan

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope

I replaced the PCV valve with a Purolator and greased the throttle and got no change...

[Edited by rmtaylor on 01-14-2001 at 07:19 PM]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone please kill this thread and me...the A/C button was on. Mine needs to be recharged so I couldn't tell. GRRRRR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts