Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 MX6 LX, auto.
I’ve been trying to keep her going but it’s been giving me problems the last month or so.
First gear is shifting way hard and when it’s cold it shifts like it hit’s a brick wall.
Someone was telling me my transmission might have an adjustment but they were not sure what gear.
Basically they said pull off the trans pan and there’s a nut adjustment, give it a ¼ turn and see if it does anything.
Fact or fiction?
:(

G

·
MyGreen6 said:
91 MX6 LX, auto.
I’ve been trying to keep her going but it’s been giving me problems the last month or so.
First gear is shifting way hard and when it’s cold it shifts like it hit’s a brick wall.
Someone was telling me my transmission might have an adjustment but they were not sure what gear.
Basically they said pull off the trans pan and there’s a nut adjustment, give it a ¼ turn and see if it does anything.
Fact or fiction?
Fiction, Sounds like your ATX is in good need of a fluid flush. If that doesn't help it probably needs a rebuild.

Though, in my experience, Automatic trannys that slur or are rough inbetween gears just need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
ATX shifting poorly

As Flyswat suggested, a fluid flush and filter is a good place to start with a sluggish tranny. If the fluid is burnt, the solenoids which control the shiftpoints may be sticking. The filter could be clogged. Check for metallic residue inside the pan. There is an adjustment within for the 1-2 shiftpoint.
Also, the throttle kickdown cable linkage can be adjusted. The fluid level and condition is critical, along with the pressure.
These Mazda tranny's are electronically controlled. Usually a blinking "hold lite" indicates a problem with the system. It can be diagnosed by reading the trouble codes.
For more info, check Probe Talk's "A-Team" forum, which is specifically dedicated to the Mazda built Probe/MX6 auto-transaxles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If this just don’t beat all,
I’m driving back from lunch today up some step hills on the bench and all of a sudden my car starts bugging down like I was climbing a hill in 4 gear, the only problem is it’s an automatic.
I pull over and try again,
No luck as soon as I hit the gas it’s bogg’s down.
So just for kicks I toss it in reverse and drive 3 blocks back to the job site.
LOL!!! Ran just fine in reverse.
I was low on tranny fluid so I filled it up then started her back up.
As soon as I toss it in Drive it dies.
After a couple of restarts it was dieing in Neutral.
ARGGGGGGGGGG!
Torque converter?
Thanks for the ideas so far, does this change things?
LOL!
I get the feeling she's toast but I'm so attached to this car it's going to be tough to put her down.

got a link to Probe Talk's "A-Team" forum?
I'm still looking,
Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got her home today and this is what she’s doing.
Starts up fine
Idles fine
Shifts in Reverse fine
Shifts in Neutral fine
Shift into Drive and it boggs down.
Go figure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts