Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I installed the 91 solid red tail lights on my 89 LX. I plugged the lights into the factory wiring harness after I compared the old with the new. They seem to be working fine from the outside of the car. The only problem I ran into is that the dash light "Rear" comes on everytime I press the brakes. I know its suppposed to mean a bad bulb but I used new bulbs and they work. I looked in my 89 Dealer service book and I can't get a clear answer out of it. What do I have to do to make this installation correct?

·
Registered
20 Posts
did you change the just the fixture or did you change the light panel also? if you changed the light panel i would switch back to the old panel which i think is a better configuration anyway. good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to change the "bulb holder panel" when you change the tail lights. The 88-89 holder is a slightly different shape from the 90-92 holder. It physically won't fit. The wiring seems to be the same, just the position of the bulbs are different. It's supposed to be a plug-in only type of thing for the wiring. It seems to be that way except for that darn dash light. It's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry man
im out of ideas then but if i come up with another i will let you know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't looked at my "bulb holder panel" in a while and have never seen a 91's but would it be possible to put the wires from the 89's panel onto the 91's panel? Just an idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wires that go to the bulbs work the same. The bulbs are just arranged differently; for example, the turn signal bulb is on top on the 91 panel and on the bottom on the 89. The part of the wire harness that comes out of the car is the same from 89 and 91. I used a test light to check this.

You can switch the bulb holder from one car to another and all the tail lights work fine. My friend's car (a 92 actually) was the other test car. I tried both bulb holder's and his original holder and none of the three triggered his "rear" dash light. The 91 holder triggers my light every time I press the brakes. My original 89 holder only triggers the light when I presss the brake and use a turn signal at the same time. It actually blinks with the turn signal indicator light. It used to do this once a month or so before I switched tail lights.

I also checked and cleaned the factory ground points. I ran a new ground parallel to the factory ground but mounted it to what I think is a better location. Still nothing. I put a piece of electrical tape over the light but you still get the "glow". I'm almost at the point of pulling that bulb out of the dash but I hate doing things like that. I like to fix things as close to correct as possible. BTW I do have the factory repair manual for the 89 mx6/626 with the complete wiring diagrams and it's still no help.

·
Registered
711 Posts
my 88 does the same thing. It does it randomly with the turn signal. Blink, Blink ,Blink. Then not for a couple of turns. Try checking the bulbs to see if they are all the same brand and that they are the right wattage. I believe the light works on resistance or lack thereof. Anyone else?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put on all new bulbs twice. Once Sylvania and then GE. It made no difference. From the best info I could get, the dash light is triggered from resistance (or lack there of) in the ground side of the circuit. I checked the circuit the best I could using the wiring diagram in the book. I even used the original tail light socket panels to check. I guess this is one of those nuisence(sp?) problems you have to live with.

·
Registered
342 Posts
hey mkb and geok. my 91 turbo does the same thing. the "rear" light only comes on when

1. the head lights are on and i step on the brake.

2. head lights are on, i then step on the brake and then indicate. the light flashes with the indicator.

the brake lights (and all other lights)appear to work normally however.

This happens maby once every week or two. so not much compared to you guys but its stiil annoying. :( i have checked bulbs ect. there all fine. might have to see an auto sparky. :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
This problem sounds like a bad ground somewhere, I don't think it is caused by the different light set ups, cause u said it did it with the '89 holders too right? Check the sockets that the bulbs actually fit into for corrosion, and all the points where wires connect. I swapped with my friends '91 just to see if it was different wiring, and neither of us experienced this problem. Let me know if anything helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's an update: I looked in the dealer repair manual under the instrument panel section instead of the wiring diagrams and tail lights section. It had a flow chart for trouble shooting and it listed a "bulb checker". The only picture that I found called the connector socket that plugs into the tail lights the bulb checker. According to the flowchart that's what's wrong. I'm going to the dealer next week and I'll see if they know what I'm talking about and if they have it in stock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So the conversion from the red and orange tail lights to the all red tail lights doesn't require any alterations? They are the same size and fit on perfectly and everything? Do you guys know where I can get a set of the all red ones? My local salvage yards suck ass!

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tail lights seem to be a straight swap. The center portion that goes on the deck lid (trunk) is a pain because there are alot of screws. Other than the bad bulb checkers, my swap was straight forward. It also made a big difference in appearence. It makes the car look newer and more modern.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
My original 89 holder only triggers the light when I presss the brake and use a turn signal at the same time. It actually blinks with the turn signal indicator light. It used to do this once a month or so before I switched tail lights.
I have an 89 and the ONLY time the Break light comes on is when the light is dead. Just take out the dash and take out the bulb in the dash so it doesn't bother you anymore.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey geok, what are you doing with your 89 taillightss, and are they the 2 tone, red on top, yellow on bottom; Because if they are i would like to get a hold of some of those, i like the look more, thankx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Panther37- I hate to take shortcuts in fixing cars, especially electrical systems. The shortcuts have a way of coming back to bite you.

I finally think I solved my problem, anyway. The bulb checker is built into the panel that holds the bulbs. You have to replace the whole panel to fix the problem. The factory repair guide has a diagram and instructions to check for continuity and resistence at different points and connections to determine if one side or both are bad. As soon as I have time I do the check or if I find an other set of bulb holders cheap, I just replace them both.

Thanks for everybody's input so far and I hope this info was helpful to others in the same boat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Dex, email me at [email protected] How about a swap or if you want to make me an offer. Mine only have a broken stud on the left side but I have the stud. That's the only thing wrong with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts