Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the deal, im trying to swap an 88 gt motor in to an 92 lx. i am running into wiring problems and the whole thing is turning into a nightmare. is it possible to even swap everything from a 88gt to a 92 lx? please dont tell me i have to swap out the dash wiring harness.

kelly

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well, all I know is the ecu has different plugs between the 88-89 years and the 90-92 years.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
realruffryder said:
ok heres the deal, im trying to swap an 88 gt motor in to an 92 lx. i am running into wiring problems and the whole thing is turning into a nightmare. please dont tell me i have to swap out the dash wiring harness.

kelly
Undoubtebly, there are going to be some wiring differences between the '88 and the '92. I'd try to get as much as possible off of an earlier GT to get the whole thing thinking right. Your best bet is to have some electrical schematics by your side, otherwise you're going to run into problems. With patience and research, I'm sure you'll overcome this jam.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can get a 91 wiring harness from a junkyard near by. will the 91 gt wiring harness work on my 88 gt motor and the 92 lx? please tell me it will. (but only if it will work)

·
Registered
51 Posts
No man, a 91 wire harness will not work on the 88 GT moto, they are completely diff. 88-89 are the same computer and wire harness, 90-92 have the same computer and wire harness, so you have two diff. computers w/ wiring to choose from, but you can only use one, but by the looks of things, you going to need an 88 ECU, and the wiring complete to atleast mek it wuk. thas all i know, but good luck anyways.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I think the 90-92 harness will work on the 88 engine, provided you replace all of the sensors and equipment on the 88 engine with that from the 90-92. The engines themselves are probably identical.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well ill find out this weekend. im getting 91 harness, computer and sensors. i dont see why it wouldnt work if i install the other sensors. the motors themselves are identical. (minus the sensors)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts