Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'92 model probs.....please

I need gen2 peoples help. my friend, very nice looking friend, is thinking of getting '92 Mx6. i don't want her to get a lemon, so could you give me all the dirt you know about that year. it does not matter what electric, mechanical or body wise. i what to know it all, all the probs
car is '92 Australian deliverd Mx6, manual, has 142000km on the clock ands its 4WS
Please help, ASAP, plees i beg you ;)
Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Someone back me up here, was the second gen available in the AUS market in 92? Maybe the year is just off? If you want to find out the quirks of the 2nd gen's search this forum for "buying mx6", since this has been asked a few times already.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The 2nd Gen was released in australia in the second half of '92, along with the corresponding 626 (mine). My car had 127000 when i got it, and have since found the VRIS#1 solenoid was bad, $110 for a new one, carbon build up in the I/M, $10 to clean it yourself with carb cleaner, and a leaking CV boot, $65 to have it replaced inc labour. the only real worry is the radiator, in the '92's at least had a lot of plastic parts, which perish over time and eventually crack. i was driving down the street in 36C heat when my temp needle suddenly hit red! emptied out all the coolent through a crack. because they don't make these dodgy plastic jobs anymore(i gues they had troubles with them) i had to get a whole new radiator, set me back $500 inc labour. other than that, mine runs like new, now with 152000 and 9 years old.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanx for reply, the only thing that is worring me about the one she picked its a 4WS and makes some funny knocs when changing lanes, while the CV joint test came clean the nois is stil there. what could that be??

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does the V6 has HLA as well? just wondering as the car has the 'tick to it'.
thanx again for your help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Freddie, if it makes a knocking sound when changing lanes and it's not the CV boots, turn and walk away. The 4WS system is too complicated and too damn expensive to fix if something is wrong.
As for the HLA tick, well it could mean it just needs an oil change, a carbon clean, or at worst, collapsed HLAs ! Check out Julian Bradbury's page for more info.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx Losio, but what id be looking for with that noise?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
So what if the 4WS doesn’t work! Disable it and you’ve got a 2WS mex, you don’t have to fix it.... The car is a bargain grab it !!My mex is 2WS/4WS..
And I know a lady in Perth that just traded her White mex in on a BMW Z3 {dealers often send cars interstate} and it was delivered in 91..I wonder if it is the car. . Is it from a dealer? She had it since new and her sir name is Dollas-Ford{might be on the log book}
P.S. What would I know!!
})

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah P.K., this one here is for 18K '92 and its aust deliviry. i havent looked hard at 91 j-spec yet.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Cool!!!! About things that can go wrong, mine is of comparable age and Ks, the rubbers start to give up the ghost, C.V. boots, and head cover gaskets Oh! And my radiator sh!t it's self, the plastic tank had gone all brittle...but nothing that doesn’t happen to every other car. Peace
I hope you find her nice one.
Happy hunting
PK

·
Registered
886 Posts
Freddie - describe what the noise sounds like when changing lanes and what you think it may be ?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
umm... it echoes so its hard to pin point where it comes from, the closest ive got is right side around firewall. the knock is very damp, like hitting large, nicley resonating pice of wood with metal rod.
thats how it sounds, if that makes any sence. ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Only when changing lanes, or when turing left/right as well ? I'm only guessing, but it could be CVs.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
HI! guys
The really expensive repair everyone has heard about is when the computer dies. {This would give you no rear wheel movement at all} If the noise is at the front of the car, there isn't many, if any, 4WS parts that are not purely mechanical {steering rack steering rod etc.} I would say if the back wheals move, and it's just a clunk it might be a problem that could be fixed by a grease gun or a new bush.....
P K
:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts