Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody usually races me because they don't know what my car is so I have just this one story. Not really a kill story but a story none the less. Back when I lived in Florida, I just bought my '92 MX6 GT and I had just met a friend of a friend with a blue 1990 Mustang 5.0 GT. I was just getting out of work and we all decided to go to the pool hall and have some beers. On the way, this mustang and I left our friend in the dust because he was driving his jeep. So we were playing and taunting each other between lights. I don't think he really felt like I was worthy of a race. Finally we lined up at this one light and I guess I taunted him enough. When it turned green we both took off kind of slow. Suddenly he floors it and his mustang takes off with the usual V8 thunder. I had just shifted into second so I was in prime turbo country and I started to give this guy a run. Since he took off first I was at a disadvantage. I stayed right on his back bumper until we both hit about 100mph. Always wanted to see how my car would stack up against the 5.0.
Anyway, when we got to the pool hall and I was cooling my baby down after running her pretty hard in the Florida heat, he comes over to me and says "is that turbo"? I said "yup". Then he says "oh cool because I could hear it" with a real look of respect on his face. I loved it because that meant he thought he was dealing with some kind of nissan sentra or something and was pretty humbled that a car with an engine less than half the size of his could hang. That's when I knew I bought the right car. If that guy could hear my turbo gnawing away at his loud ass V8's back bumper at full throttle then that is just as sweet as it gets.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Gotta love the turbo and supercharger whine to give the V8 boys a scare!! (I was a V8 boy once, but I jumped on the forced induction bandwagon)

G

·
HELL YEAH!! I have a friend with a 92 LX 5.0 and we were on the highway a couple weeks ago and this POS Monte Carlo was within 2 feet of my ass at 70mph so I yelled in my rearveiw mirror (kinda pointless yeah) and the guy flips me off!!. So my friend in the 5.0 was head of me and sees this assWhole and switches lanes, I grabbed 4th and flew by my friend in his 5.0 and left the Monte in the DUST, took it to 100 and eased off and let my buddy in his 5.0 catch up and the assWhole on the Monte go by. When we got to our destination, all my buddy said is he could hear ssppppfffffffffff as I flew by. He was absolutely amazed, he said he was expecting to hear some engine or exhaust and all he heard was the turbo!! I love it!!

G

·
As anyone ever thought of the gears most guys run in their Mustangs. Most with 5 speeds run 4.10 or at least 3.70 gears. Then the auto guys run about 3.27 or maybe 3.50. So the lower the gear the worst the topend becuase you are running so many rpm's. Anyway most Mustang guys want low end horsepower and torque for 1/8 and 1/4 mile races. After that they aren't much good.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking the mustangs mentioned in this thread are probably running stock transmissions. I'm not much of an american muscle fan so I can't say what that might be. But hey, if they do change gear ratios for faster 1/8 mile times then that is their problem if they try to run me to 100mph from second gear and turbo spooled. I say it's still cool as hell when that guy I raced expected to spank me and found himself coming up way short.
I respect the abilities of a stock 5.0. Let's face it, they are the measuring stick when it comes to street racing. Anybody that tells you that they took a 5.0 in their stock 1st gen MX6 from a standstill is full of it. My story above is true. Regardless of gearing, I raced a 5.0L V8 in my FF 2.2L intercooled turbo 4 and ended up with some respect in the end. No excuses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts