Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, hope youll can help me. My girlfriends car stalled out the other day in drive and wont run in any forward gear unless i put in nuetral and keep the rpms up. It runs and shifts fine after i get going. The funny thing is that it does not do it in reverse. But it did start doing it one time while in park, but didnt shut off. I was checking a few things and when I took the top off the air box and lifted it up, it ran fine, rpms stayed right where they should be, but as soon as i put it back down the rpms dropped, the car shook, and it cut off. The air filter is not dirty or anything like that. I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe the o2 sensor because i see that the wiring harness for it runs into the harness that goes to the air flow meter on top of the air box. maybe a vacuum leak somewhere, anyone with any comments or similar experience is greatly appreciated. OH yeah, the check engine light is on, but i havent pulled the codes yet. Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
112 Posts
Might be neer the same problem i'm having right now, mine is doing the same thing. Get the code out, if your not willing to buy a code getter (150$), then goto any gas station or shop and pull her out.

In the meantime, pull out the MAF-Mass air flow sensor located just north of the air filter box. Check its inlet screen for dirt and clean away any. I've also heard of a way to clean this sensor. Might be a good idea to look in to before buying the part (250$), that is IF! you even need it or if this is even neer the problem you are having.

Run a search in "Mass Air Flow" or "MAF" and look for peope talking about using brake cleaner to clean their MAF's.

Good Luck,
Dan

p.s. my problem thread it titled "...little problem here...", read and let me know if this sounds like your car.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
stalling

The first thing to check would be your rubber inlet boot to the throttle body. Any hairline cracks can cause symptons such as yours. Also check the connector for the VAF, which is near the air filter box.
Check with our 1st Gen forum for an easy DIY method of pulling the codes. Could be the EGR or O2.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
johnniebgood is right. I had the same problem. what you need to do... is look for any cracks in ur hosing around the air box and the tubing connected to it. any slight cracks where air escapes can change the way ur car runs totally. i finally patched up the last and final hole today. it runs like new. good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts