Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started on a casual cruise to my buddy's house in Ohio (I'm in Indianapolis).. Those who travel I-74 know this highway is full of speed (Do 75 and get passed like your standing still). I was rolling about 75-80 and I noticed a white Grand Am about 10-15 car lengths ahead of me trying to be fancy.. He (I found out later it was a he) was probably doing like 90-95 and swerving terribly to keep his heavy pontiac going thru the turns. (I thought that widetrack thing was "better"??) Being a speed freak and knowing how to apex turns I decided to have some fun.. (I-74 generally doesnt have alot of cops and the turns are easily taken flat out) I played "ride your ass" for awhile.. He got his grand am up around 100 or so.. and was swerving terribly still-- clearly a bad driver.. I dropped the hammer on him and took to the outside lane.. We were neck and neck going thru some turns about 105 then around 115 I looked up and he was WAY back.. before I could get out of the throttle the damn 120mph limiter shut me down... I waited for him to catch up-- only to blow his doors off again.. I gave him a casual smile the second time he tried to run me..

All I know is it was a early 90's Grand Am with dual exhaust.. I'm sure from a dead stop off the line he'd keep up or even beat me by a nose.. but flat out the Grand Am fell on its face.. Does anyone know what kind of speed limiter is on the Grand Am??

Chris
'93 MX-6 http://www.angelfire.com/games2/astrowarez/mx6.html

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Speed Limiter

The speed limiter, or governor, is probably about the same on the Grand Am as on yours. If it was a dual exhaust, it was probably the GT, which is a 6cylinder.

Good kill. He probably would not beat you off the line, he'd probably stay close though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Is that the quad 4 engine in the Grand Am?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jorge is right.. be careful with the speeds- we dont need any smashed up MX-6's.. I've been driving for about 10 years now and I spend many hours in simulators (You know, Nascar 2000, Midtown Madness 2) heheh.. No matter how good of a driver you are you have to watch out for "the other guy".

Rbodeman- no it wasnt a Quad4 it was a later model V6..

Chris

G

·
Speed

Yeah, it's fun, but just watch it. It'll get ya in the long run. My girlfriend's an RN, and spent 5 years working in the ICU at various hospitals. She says that those who die speeding are the lucky ones-- many others spend their time in excruciating pain. Anyway, I love the road just as much as anybody, but just take it in moderation.
Just my .02 on that subject.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
racing is cool and all but wrecking and getting hurt or killed is another, just a thought from your daddy hahahah just kinding about the daddy part

·
Registered
359 Posts
THE PLACE TO RACE

The best place to race are non populated roads and wide open areas. So you can go really fast and you know cops will not be around.

REMEBER RACE FAST BUT ALWAYS SAFE.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah theres a good country road about 1/2 mile away that is surrounded by nothing but corn fields.. works great for those 2am 0-60 tests. :)

another rule of racing I follow is that when I have passengers in my car I drive like a grandpa.. Not only do extra passengers mean more weight, they mean responsiblity.. That would SUCK to wreck racing and have your passengers die and you survive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Back a while ago I raced a '92 grand am w/3.3v6 and a '98 mustang w/3.8v6. Well were running at about 75 and started racing each other. We all stayed pretty much together until we got to around 110 and the mustangs governer kicked in. So I passed him and was out front then I stopped accelerating at right below 120 so mine wouldn't kick in and the grand am blew by me running over 125. So I know that the grand am will go at least that fast.

btw. we all automatics with no engine mods

·
Registered
4 Posts
astro

astro, i'm from around indy, i would loveeee to race your car in either my grand am or GTP :) not to talk smack or anything i just think it would be fun, i'm about 30 miles outside of indy, would be fun to show you a "heavy pontiac" but its werid, cause you called the 93-95 heavy,, which was one of the lightest years they made it.. all plastic. small oh btw. i'll put my q4 against your 2.0 :) :) Look me up sometime, it'll be fun

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
:sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
holy crap this thread has some of the OLD timers that use to post a lot... Astro-Z, ACIDBURN, superflymx6, and Jiffy.

I got an email too so I would assume I made a post that got deleted!!! WOW this is OOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD!!!! I would still be a relative newb at that point... damn I've been here a while :sigh:

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I was 14 now 20 :)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
WTF? Someone comes to mx6.com and rummages through the search, finds any reference to racing Grand Ams or Grand Prixs and resurrects the thread, no matter how old, to incite an "Oh yeah? I bet I can beat you!" revival? On a thread that's nearly six years old??

:freak:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
LOL this was in my Hond4 t00n3r dayz :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts