Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I recently bought a 93 LS, bad shape 241 000 kms...bad mistake oh well.

When I start it cold, if I don't rev it to 2k it'll just stall over and over. After its warm, Ill rev it up, if I let off the gas completely itll drop to below 500 rpms and almost stall...or sometimes it does stall. And it'll flash a check engine light which goes away.

What could it be??? I was thinking the Idle Air Control Valve, TPS or wiring short. Which would be the most likely to be the cause? Or what from experience is the cause? The guy said something about the o2 sensors but I doubt the car would act like this with bad o2 sensors.

My gut tells me its the TPS due to my experience in RX7s...but I have yet to even start troubleshooting. Any help?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a similar problem except it wouldn't stall, however it would start to and bog down to lower rpms like you mentioned. It turned out being the o2 sensor, which was a cheap fix. So it could possibly be that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well i have had similar problems !
My problem was that my ECU had gone....
You can easily check this ! just behind the ashtray there sits the ecu ! undo 2 screws and 3 clips take the ecu out.
Open up the ecu and look if theres any white stuff on the boards....
If you have then time to replace the ecu
If not then you have ruled out one thing !!!!
I only checked my ecu on my car 3 weeks later.... and i feel like an idiot as i had a spare car to take the ecu out of.

Good luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm not sure what it is but like I said I have to troubleshoot, I will check for vacuum leaks, and test the electrical components to see if they're in spec...I mean the car is 16 years old and has 241 000 on it. I don't expect too much of it, I know I have to fix stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Check the ecu for the code number using this

You have a number of possibilities, vac leak as stated, stuck or inop IAC/BAC valve, egr problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That sounde exactly like the problem i had with one of my MX3's....
Mine ended up being a Crack in the Intake pipe (between the MAF and the TB)
I had to crank the TB bypas screw all the way open just to keep it running... other wise it would bog out.

especially on a car with high mileage... check the elbow carefully, cracks can form in between the ribs and are hardly noticeable...

Good luck. Hope you find the source

·
Registered
79 Posts
That sounde exactly like the problem i had with one of my MX3's....
Mine ended up being a Crack in the Intake pipe (between the MAF and the TB)
I had to crank the TB bypas screw all the way open just to keep it running... other wise it would bog out.

especially on a car with high mileage... check the elbow carefully, cracks can form in between the ribs and are hardly noticeable...

Good luck. Hope you find the source
X2... had that same problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts